New members look forward to NHS

Zehra Jaffari, Student Life Editor

Scholarship, Leadership, Character, and Service; the four pillars of NHS (National Honor Society). With over one-third of the class of 2018 in NHS at Clements High School, the sponsors, Emily Golden and Angela Espinosa, look forward to the newest inductees this February. This organization is a nationwide program that recognizes outstanding high school students in all four pillars. With an estimated one million active members in the nation, NHS is increasing in popularity around the nation. It not only recognizes outstanding performance and accomplishments, but it encourages students to actively participate in the community and demonstrates leadership qualities that help them build character throughout high school.

NHS is recognized and acknowledged by colleges and universities around the nation as an exemplar program. The organization is reflective of the principles that encourage students to not only make a difference, but to do it with good character by demonstrating the four pillars that make NHS acknowledged. Scholarships are provided by numerous colleges around the nation. Since 1946, more than $13 million in scholarships have been awarded to NHS members. Ultimately with one national winner, the student can receive up to $20,125 in funds toward their college tuition.

Leadership, another vital part of NHS, is demonstrated by students through their responsibility and problem solving skills. With various positions to take on, NHS and various other clubs offer positions where students can take on duties effectively. NHS strives to assist students to develop honesty and integrity as a part of the character pillar. Service is also an important part of NHS that encourages students to take responsibility in their school and community. By volunteering, helping others, and spending time with others, students in NHS are able to perform service projects that allow them to help others. With the four pillars that allow members to develop vital skills for life, NHS allows students to prepare for their future goals and careers.

The newest members of NHS are looking forward to hosting the Senior Citizen’s Dance and volunteering and acquiring the proper requirements to stay in the organization. With 10 points and 15 volunteer hours for every semester needed for NHS, members are encouraged to take part in the community and spend time supporting and helping the organization.

With a new group of inductees, Clements NHS is looking forward to a successful year with the students and preparing students to prosper and grow for their futures.