Volleyball sets up for playoffs

Isabela Ferrer, Guest Writer

Friday, October 13th, the Freshman, JV, and Varsity volleyball teams defeated Bush in a program sweep. This marked the end of a four game losing streak for the varsity team showing that their battle for a position in playoffs is not over.

The first time varsity played Bush this season, the Rangers fell after losing three out of four sets of the match. However, during their most recent game, the Lady Rangers were able to stop Bush in three out of five sets showing the improvement necessary for a successful finish to the season.

For 10 of the 15 players on the varsity team, this season will be their last, and many are determined to graduate from the volleyball program on a positive note.

“I know it’s my last year, so I’m trying to enjoy all of it,” senior Outside Hitter Riley Spengemen said.

As the last three games of the season draw closer, the Rangers will need a positive attitude to continue to postseason play. For some, a rowdy fan section helps create the perfect environment for a win.

“My favorite environment to play in is when we have a really crowded fan section to support us,” senior DS/Libero Kaitlin Dinh said.

This idea was also shared by senior Right Side Hitter, Kelli Claytor who continued to comment on the crowd packed atmosphere.

“I prefer when the gym is packed with friends because they bring a lot of energy,” Claytor said.

This appreciation goes both ways as many of the students who fill the bleachers at home games look forward to attending volleyball games. The chance to support their friends and the excitement of the game is a welcome break from the stress of the week.

“I like how fast-paced volleyball is because the ball is always in motion,” said senior Alice Opiyo, who has been attending games for two years.

“I like cheering on all of my friends,” said senior Emily Bohnsack who also enjoys attending as many games as she can.

The fun for both players and fans does not just start with the game. Each team creates a warm up music playlist that is broadcast through speakers in the gym during warmups to entertain the crowd and help get the players in the right mindset before each game. The varsity team also decorates mini volleyballs to throw into the fan section at home games, which helps to make the crowd feel like they are a part of the action.

The volleyball teams hope that attendance will be especially high for the Ranger’s last district game on October 24th, which could be the deciding match that determines if playoffs will be a possibility for varsity. If the Lady Rangers win against Hightower, Kempner, and Dulles, they could be tied with Dulles for fourth place in the district and able to make playoffs if they win the tiebreaker match.

The varsity team is looking forward to the upcoming weeks and the chance to continue their season, especially since many of the seniors began their volleyball career with the same teammates that have joined them for their final year.

For senior outside hitter Ezzie Kamara, who was unable to play volleyball her junior year due to an injury, making playoffs would be the perfect finish to the season.

“I think going to playoffs would be a great achievement since we have played with each other since freshman year. It would be one for the books!”said Kamara.