We are prepared to win at DECA

Zehra Jaffari, Student Life Editor

After many mini competitions, quizlets, vocab lists, flipping through practice tests, and staying after school to practice role plays with officers, DECA districts was successful. For many participants, including first year DECA members, Clements dominated at Districts this past January. The accomplishments and winners at the District 3 Career Development Conference are now moving forward to the next level hoping to make it to the ultimate round in Anaheim, California at the International Career Development Conference (ICDC). But before ICDC, the Statewide Texas DECA Career Development Conference in San Antonio will determine who will move on to Disneyland.

As a second year member and a second year qualifier for the Texas Career Development Conference in San Antonio, Texas, my experience with DECA has been very enjoyable and helpful. By studying for tests, practicing for various role play situations, I have prepared myself for the District competition that allowed me to qualify for State. Now I am hoping to use these business, speaking, and problem-solving skills that I have obtained over the past two years and apply them at the State-wide Conference in hopes of placing at San Antonio.

Surrounded by the Alamo, river walk, and numerous restaurants, I hope to enjoy the three-day and two-night stay at the hotel located on the river walk. As we meet with DECA competitors all over Texas, we have a packed 3 day stay for competition and fun. The first day we arrive, I am really looking forward to the opening ceremony where we have multiple speakers, officers, and our very own Texas DECA president Saif Khan, from Clements High School. The second day is competition day. After everyone has completed their role plays and presentations, we have a fun casino night with games with the all the competitors. The third and final day is awards day where we plan on finding out who wins and moves on to the International competition.

With this event packed schedule, Clements DECA plans on dominating in every category, not to mention, Clements DECA has the most ICDC stock market qualifiers in the nation. With this excellent opportunity, I hope to learn and apply my problem solving and business skills into the real world.