Student teacher pursues dreams

Zehra Jaffari, Student Life Editor

Deandria Arnic is a recent student teacher at Clements. She is a former alumni of Hightower High School and is currently a student at Sam Houston State University College of Education. Hoping to be a high school and someday even a college professor, Arnic has obtained her major in mass communication and a double minor in secondary education and communication studies.

At Hightower High School,  Arnic was a part of the prestigious Media Academy and had developed her passion for journalism and it’s various forms at the academy. She wanted to combine her passion for journalism and teaching, so she studied in it in order to pursue her goal. She enjoys the creativeness and the various resources that journalism has to offer and hopes to combine this passion to impact others. Arnic understands that the variety of journalism has a huge impact on the broadcast, radio, and print; and has the ability to switch up depending on the audience.

She student taught broadcast, journalism, newspaper, photojournalism, and yearbook with Linda Carroll and Fay Mayo at Clements  from August through December 2016. Arnic had the opportunity to learn how much students have an impact on teachers and how their relationship is dependent on one another. She also learned about how having a mentor teacher is an amazing experience that teaches a variety of successful strategies before entering the career.  Having connections, keeping up with grading and work, and knowing what teachers need to do behind the scenes and the struggles that they face are what makes a teacher a teacher. Being a student teacher and experiencing the classroom in a live setting has really given her an accurate perspective on her future job.

On December 9th, Arnic graduated as a student from Sam Houston State University and from there will pursue her dreams as a journalism teacher. She hopes to teach these journalism topics sometime in her teaching career: broadcast, newspaper, journalism, photojournalism, and yearbook. Starting next semester in 2017, Arnic will be a substitute teacher for FBISD and has also applied to Katy ISD. She hopes to receive a contract high school journalism for the 2017-2018 school year, and is certified to teach high school and middle school. After having a memorable experience student teaching at Clements High School, Arnic hopes to become a successful teacher and have a position that can allow her to inspire and impact others one day.

She remembers her experience at Clements as a very special and memorable one and even says it was her best experience throughout her college career. Her favorite memory was her going away party that was thrown for her by  Carroll’s fifth period class. She will also dearly miss the students, staff, faculty, and her two mentor teachers for inspiring her and making her feel special. In ten years , Arnic hopes to be with her military boyfriend living wherever she is happy with her dream job.