Meece brings passion for history to her classroom

Zehra Jaffari, Student Life Editor

Meredith Meece is a first year teacher at Clements,  and this is her fourth year as a high school teacher. She previously worked for the Dallas Independent School District at Seagoville High School. A graduate from Hightower in the prestigious medical academy,  Meece was raised in Sugar Land. She attended Baylor University and took on the teaching field after college.

Meece said she chose to come to Clements to teach because she and her husband have family in the Houston area and one day when she wants to start a family, she can get assistance from her parents and other relatives. When she was at Baylor, her primary focus was becoming a psychiatrist and she dedicated most of her time into interning and practicing for her future medical job. When she started to actually take classes required for psychiatry, she found out that she really wanted to be a teacher instead. Originally intending to become a theater teacher due to her immense passion for acting and theater, she realized that becoming a theater teacher meant a job with no change or higher positions. She then finally decided that teaching American history was the job that she was meant to have.

Meece has always enjoyed the subject of history and she specifically chose to teach US history because she has “a deep and abiding passion for this country”  and she knows how important history is to the future generations. When asked about her goals for this school year, she said that she wants “to get involved with the community here at CHS and get to know [her] students really well and contribute to the very successful atmosphere here.”  She said that her strategies for this school year is to engage her students in interesting videos and relate US history to the real world. She also hopes to reemphasize the learning atmosphere in unique ways. Her professional goals for this year are to be a great asset for the school and personally, she wishes to give back to the community and attend many football games.

When asked about class activities that she likes to incorporate into the curriculum,  Meece responded, “I am a really big fan of social media, so I have a class Twitter page that [she] encourages everyone to register to so when [they] do in class discussions and debates, we can use Twitter to live feed and contribute to the conversation.”

Meece likes to use Twitter for these reasons because it can assist those students who do not talk as much and help generate more ideas when more students interact. To promote student, parent, and teachers interaction. Meece had a successful open house and plans on becoming the History Honor Society sponsor that will provide unique opportunities, like the upcoming trip to the presidential inauguration.

Meece strongly believes that her students will have a great year with lots of fun and learning, while being fully prepared for the end of the year’s STAAR and AP exam. She thinks the textbook for AP students with loads of detail and the John Green crash course  and knowledge hub will all assist the student very much this year since they are very good tools to use.  She expects her students this year to be committed and dedicated by studying their notes for tests and quizzes, and also by keeping their grades up with commitment and an open mind about the subject. She also expects for her students to do their work on time and walk away at the end of this year with one small thing that they enjoyed learning about.

So far   Meece really likes CHS because she says that every student has been passionate about their grades and have been very respectful, fun, and attentive in class with full pride. She is really looking forward for her career here.