Unshakeably Ms. B

In celebration of National School Library Month, a look into librarian Marion Brennan’s journey from marine biology to the Clements library.
Unshakeably Ms. B

Black swirls slowly take shape on brown skin, looping and curling around fingers splayed on the table.

As patterned bands and elegant flowers gradually assume the form of henna, the four girls clustered around a table in the library’s back room make idle conversation. A few steps away, a hoodie-clad girl reclines in a bean bag, silently scrolling on her phone. When another student walks in, she’s greeted with quiet waves – the hushed, almost reverential silence remains unbroken.

Outside, however, is another story. 

Librarian Marion Brennan, fondly known as Ms. B, is a whirlwind of movement as she makes her way through winding bookshelves, stepping over outstretched legs and enthusiastic friend groups, chatting briefly with students along the way. At one point, she stops to make an amused remark at a student browsing over pictures of cars at the row of school desktops then chats about a book with another student.

Club meetings.

Sheet music.

3D printing.

Ms. B does it all because, in her words, the library should be the “heart of the building.”

“I think my philosophy is that the library should be a safe place and I do deliberately try and make quality connections and make personal connections so people know this is a safe place to come and if they need something, I can help,” Brennan said. “I do try and make it feel like that we’re engaged and that everything that happens in here is to support our student body, our faculty, everything, and our community.”

A NEW READ? Brennan looks over the cover of a book. The library keeps a rotating shelf of the newest releases, as well as titles selected for heritage months.
A NEW READ? Brennan looks over the cover of a book. The library keeps a rotating shelf of the newest releases, as well as titles selected for heritage months. (Karen Wei)
A Book-Lover From the Start

Brennan’s love of books started as a child growing up in Alief, a suburb of Houston.

“I had wonderful experiences with the libraries I went to,” Brennan said. “I went to Olle Middle School and I went to Kennedy Elementary, which was super fun because their library had little alcoves, like orange and blue and green and one was the moon and one was the jungle and so it was fun to just go and sit and read in there. I was a really hyperactive kid so I would get all my work done and the teachers would send me to the library to get out of the room.”

A choir kid, Brennan recalls looking up to her section leader as a role model and even wanted to continue singing in college. However, a rejection from the College of William & Mary pushed Brennan to change course, so she earned a degree in marine biology from A&M Galveston instead – her graduation, though, coincided with the 1980s oil glut.

“The oil companies were tanking, and those were the people that were hiring marine biologists,” Brennan said. “You couldn’t get hired as a marine biologist if you didn’t have your doctorate. I kind of wound up taking a different path because of that happening. That was something that was totally not in my control.”

Brennan went back to the University of Houston and earned a degree in education. She began teaching at Lake Olympia Middle School but soon found another cause to take on.

“I wound up wondering why I had all these seventh graders that couldn’t read, so I started working on my master’s in reading,” Brennan said. “I did that for about 17 years. After that, I was wanting to do something different, and so I became a librarian [and] got my second master’s degree in library studies.”

While at Christa McAuliffe Middle School, a Title One school, Brennan says she saw students, from sixth to eighth grade, at a third-grade reading level simply because of a lack of opportunity. As a result, Brennan took on the role of getting donated books to the kids’ homes, and even providing school supplies and dispersing food from the Houston Food Bank.

“[I learned] to be more grateful for the opportunities that I’ve had in my life, the opportunities to go to school, the opportunities to meet and travel and do all those things that many of those students may never have,” Brennan said. “So it makes me very grateful. And I’m very grateful to be here at Clements and get to meet kids that are going to go out and make the world an amazing place.”

IN SHOCK. Brennan exclaims at the price of the car that a student is looking at. The library has two rows of desktops that students can use before and after school.
Bringing Joy Beyond the Library

Brennan’s distinctive hair, dyed a bright Clements blue, makes her instantly recognizable wherever she goes – and wherever, as it turns out, is almost everywhere.

“It’s hard not to know who Ms. Brennan is,” AP Human Geography teacher Christine Badillo said. “Ms. B just kind of throws herself into everything. She wants to be involved. She seeks out opportunities to help others and give her love and joy to others. So you really just have to show up to work and you’re going to run into her and be a part of her every day.”

Badillo, who co-sponsors the Student Council, says Brennan has not only allowed her human geography classes to use the upstairs library but has also opened the library space for Model United Nations and Student Council meetings. That’s not it, though – Brennan also helped with the African American Student Association’s Living Wax Museum, Ranger Camp, and Homecoming.

“I think she’s one of those people that no matter what’s going on in her life, and she’s had some rough times, she still brings joy,” Badillo said. “She is one of those people that no matter what you’re doing, you know that you can go and talk to her and she’ll be really busy, but she will set aside time to talk to you, to help you with whatever you need.”

Junior Grace Trinh recalls that when she was struggling with a class, Brennan was “really, really understanding”, which helped Trinh become more comfortable with talking about her feelings.

“Ms. B, she does a really good job of listening to anything that anybody has to talk about even if she doesn’t know you,” Trinh said. “She does a really good job of empathizing with you and trying her best to make sure that any problem, anything that she can do to solve your problem, she does.”

Junior Hanine Elhanainia visits the library twice a day – once in the morning and once at lunch, if not after school, too. She calls the library a “safe place”.

“I don’t feel comfortable where there’s a lot of noise, so the cafeteria and other places make me feel very uncomfortable,” Elhanainia said. “Ms. B understood that part of me and she started to let me come into this back room where it’s silent and I can be more comfortable and be with other people that are around here.”

Even among teachers, Brennan is known as a “caretaker”, in AP Calculus teacher Ricardo Garcia’s words, whether in the form of helping students print their assignments at the last minute or offering staff treats or coffee.

“I think that a lot of people don’t realize what actually goes into making the library successful,” Garcia said. “A lot of people are like, you just check out a book and that’s it. But no, there’s so much more to it. The role of librarian has definitely evolved from what it was in the past to maker spaces and different activities throughout and just making it a cool place to hang out…It’s really neat that we have someone who cares, who goes above and beyond, who gives so much time to make sure that kids have a place.”

IN SHOCK. Brennan exclaims at the price of the car that a student is looking at. The library has two rows of desktops that students can use before and after school. (Karen Wei)
Thank-you cards and notes line the wall next to Brennans desk in the librarys back room.
Perseverance, Always

Between hosting Lunar New Year or Bollywood festivities and bringing pet therapy dogs into the library during lunch, Brennan says energy can be a challenge, especially after a funding cut left her without a library aide.

“I want to make sure that I’m doing everything that I can to help everybody, and so that sometimes that you get kind of pulled a little bit thin,” Brennan said. “There’s not a day that is the same day. Every day is different. I may have plans for the day, but maybe there’s a teacher out, or maybe I need to go run to help a teacher with something. It’s all about flexibility.”

Ultimately, however, Brennan is fueled by her endless love of learning.

“I love history, I think we learn so much from history, and I love science,” Brennan said. “So I’m just always curious, I always want to learn…I think I take a lot of different things that I’ve learned and try and connect to students because of that.”

Looking forward, Brennan said she has plans to bring in more machinery and maker space equipment, possibly through a fundraiser for the library. Her advice to others? “Never stop.”

“If you think you’re going one way, just because that doesn’t happen, doesn’t mean nothing’s going to happen,” Brennan said. “You could be successful, you just have to keep going. [If] something goes badly wrong, you suffer losses, you just have to keep going. The word is ‘perseverance’. For me, it’s just keep going and, and do the things that make you feel happy, find things that make you happy.”

Thank-you cards and notes line the wall next to Brennan’s desk in the library’s back room. (Karen Wei)
SHOW TIME. Sophomore Grace Hu reaches to show Brennan her new book. In the morning, Brennan can often be found talking with students about everything from the Band-Aid recall to the latest additions to the New York Times Best Seller list.
Lightning Round

How would you describe yourself in three words?

I would say a good listener, probably try and solve too many problems, but energetic.

What’s your favorite book? 

So my classic choice, my go-to is the “Count of Monte Cristo.” I love it. And then, of course, my favorite book that I probably have read 55,000 times in my life is “The Secret Garden.” It’s like a book that you open up and you just kind of go back in time to a different place.

What’s your favorite genre?

I still love my sci-fi. I love my zombies. I love my Hunger Games, Divergent, all of those. I’m trying to get more into fantasy, so I’ve been reading a lot more fantasy, but I would say sci-fi and historical fiction.

Who’s your favorite author?

Golly, I love Jonathan Mayberry. I’ve been digging all the Holly Jackson and the [Karen] McManus books. The Inheritance Games, and then, I love Sarah J. Maas. Suzanne Collins.

What’s a book that you dislike, but respect?

I’m going to go to “The Goldfinch.” I hated “The Goldfinch.” It’s a Pulitzer. Donna Tartt is the author. It’s about an 800-page book and it was a Pulitzer and it’s beautifully written until the last 30 pages. And I absolutely, totally disagree with the choices that that author made. And that’s the author’s choices, but I can’t change it. But man, was I angry at the end of that book and still get angry when I think about the end of that book.

So what’s the best movie adaptation of a book that you’ve watched?

I would say “The General’s Daughter.” They did a really, really good job. And then the other one is, I think they did a great job on the first Hunger Games movie. But then I think it got too much. And then the very first “Divergent” was great. And then they just kind of lost it, movie-making-wise.

If you weren’t a librarian, what would you be?

I do have a master’s in reading, so I do tutor several dyslexic students. I’ve been trained to do that, so I probably would be working on doing that more full-time.

Why blue hair? 

COVID was hard and I was at McAuliffe and it was really, really hard at McAuliffe. That’s a title one school, about 94% of the students are free and reduced lunch, so it’s a, it’s a tough, tough school. And so I needed to do something to make myself happy. So I went purple.

When I walked in the door and I interviewed with [former principal David] Mr.Yaffie, who I had known, he’s like, “I don’t know about the purple.” I was like, “okay.” And he goes, “You’re going to have to talk to Coach [Robert] Darnell.”

So I said something to Darnell, and he said, “Can’t be purple. Got to be blue.”

So that’s how I went blue.

SHOW TIME. Sophomore Grace Hu reaches to show Brennan her new book. In the morning, Brennan can often be found talking with students about everything from the Band-Aid recall to the latest additions to the New York Times Best Seller list. (Karen Wei)

At the 7:20 bell, students start to make their way out of the library. The henna is complete, the bottle capped, backpacks slung on shoulders, goodbyes-for-nows uttered. 

They’ll come back soon, carrying trays or lunchboxes at mid-day, then again after school to chat with friends or find a good read. Sometime later, when most have left, the lights will dim and Brennan will lock the doors. 

Though of course, they won’t stay closed for long.