The student news site of Clements High School

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

Q&A with Coach Ellis: “The Process of Planting Seeds”

A graduate of Liberty University, Sadalia Ellis will be serving as Clement’s new girls’ basketball coach. Although this will be her first year coaching, Ellis played basketball competitively for seven years in total: four at Liberty University and three overseas in Europe. Here, Coach Ellis shares her past experiences, her hopes and goals for the future, and more insight into her character.

How do you feel about the new season? Any goals, perceived challenges, or things you are looking forward to?

I’m excited about the new season and look forward to seeing the girls compete and improve.

What made you choose Clements instead of other high schools? How do you feel about Clements so far?

Clements is a great place to be, and I’m glad to be here.

Is there anything you like about the girls’ basketball team so far?

I love working with the girls and getting to know their different personalities.

Is there anything you can bring into Clements that isn’t already here? What sets you apart from other coaches?

What sets all coaches apart is that we are who we are; we all have unique and different upbringings. We all have an approach to the sport that is similar and different. So we are all set apart in that we are all our own people, with our own passion, here to support, love, and encourage kids in the way we see fit.

What do you enjoy about coaching in general?

I enjoy the process of seed planting. 

Have you had any life-altering experiences that relate to basketball?

Basketball has, in many ways, shaped the drive and work ethic I have to this day. The drive and work ethic it took to be a high-level athlete is the same drive and work ethic it takes to be a high-level anything in life. The ability to remain calm under high pressure, work with various people, and persevere when the outcome isn’t what you’d like.