ASA celebrates the legacy of MLK

ASA celebrates the legacy of MLK

Leila Stewart, Co-Editor in Chief

In order to commemorate the life and accomplishments of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., the nation will celebrate MLK day this Monday, Jan. 21, 2019. The African Student Association is celebrating the holiday early.

Friday, Jan. 18, 2019, ASA officers and members are holding a mock speech in the Commons during both lunches. Students are reciting lines from Dr. King’s famous “I have a dream” speech.

ASA President Ricki Kuvach says that she feels this event will be a good way to celebrate MLK’s message and work that led to the integration of all races in society.

“Martin Luther King Jr.’s works and non-violent protests have provoked the change necessary to allow students like me to attend a school as esteemed as Clements,” Kuvach said. “Clements’ diverse students and staff attests to the victories and achievements made by Martin Luther King Jr.”

ASA is using Friday to give his work recognition before students and staff head into the long weekend.

“This day should serve as a reminder for staff to enforce his ideals of equality and for students to embrace them.” Kuvach said.

According to US News’ Best High Schools database, African Americans make up six percent of the total student population. Outside of school wide events, ASA has become a safe haven for many students.

Secretary Mia Crout says that part of the way ASA unites the small, black community is through socials. At these events there are games, food, and discussions.

“[We have] discussions on issues pertaining to the black community and some of our experiences being black at Clements High School along with our day to day life,” Crout said.

ASA members open up about the challenges they have faced throughout their childhood and still deal with in high school.

“To our dismay, the personal experiences many of our members shared were disheartening and with that many members unfortunately had their own story of racial slurs they have heard or overheard from their fellow peers,” Crout said. “I too, along with the officers standing here today, have my own stories to tell on what we have endured.”

Over the long weekend as students and staff take their day off, the hope is to remember and celebrate the life of Dr. Martin Luther King and to ensure his values are instilled in society.