The student news site of Clements High School

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

Homecoming’s Long Preparation

Selling more tickets than last year for Homecoming was a success. Student Council (StuCo) went through a great deal of time and hard work to prepare the dance. This Homecoming not only exceeded expectations but also created cherished memories for the students who attended and StuCo members. 

The center of attention for Homecoming was mainly the theme that StuCo worked to come up with: “A Night in Paris”.

“All the way back in August we ordered paint, backdrops, posters, etc,” StuCo sponsor Christine Badillo said. 

StuCo had two months to prepare for Homecoming. All of the members took time to plan because they had a certain number of hours they were required to put into the Homecoming.

“We met up 2-3 times a week and the day of [Homecoming] everyone showed up to help,” Badillo said.

StuCo showed up multiple times a week after school since the beginning of August to help prepare for Homecoming. That means dozens of hours of hard work from each member of StuCo. On the day of Homecoming, every one of the members showed up to help. Badillo and fellow StuCo sponsor Garcia showed up as early as 7 a.m. to help. Most members didn’t leave until 1 a.m. because they were still cleaning up after the dance.

“I had a lot of fun painting,” sophomore StuCo president Emma John said.

StuCo members also had an enjoyable time setting everything up. It wasn’t just long hours and effort that made the dance – the members liked creating the dance and watching it come together as a team. At the dance, StuCo members provide a snack to go along with the theme. Since this year’s theme was “A Night in Paris”, they ordered snacks to fit the French theme.

“To match the theme, we try to provide at least a snack,” Badillo said. “For example this year we went with croissants, cheese, and grapes to go along with it and make it feel more realistic.” 

The dance itself is already a lot of hard work for the StuCo but on top of that, they also organize the court. They oversee voting for the King and Queen, the ballots, and getting students to participate. However, the money made from the dance doesn’t go to the StuCo to keep. As a part of class projects, the money is used throughout the year until the next dance.

“The money we make from the dance funds the projects every class is required to do,” Badillo said.  

As a result of all the hard work, this year the number of students who attended the dance increased by a good amount. 

“More students showed up this year than last year so we hope we keep that up next year as well,” Badillo said.