The student news site of Clements High School

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

Homecoming Game: Pressures the Players Face

This event stands out from the rest, setting it apart from the other football games throughout the season. A sea of blue against a sea of orange. It’s no surprise that the stadium is bursting at the seams, as the crowd assembles to see this showdown. 

The homecoming football game is the biggest game every year. With high expectations, the pressure on the football players to shine in this year’s homecoming game can be stressful. The players find themselves caught between the thrill of the game and the tensity to deliver a win for the school. The football team is going against Bush High School on Oct. 19. 

“It might be the most watched game of the year and the crowd is packed so I think that’s how it differs from the other football games this year,” varsity senior Enzo Zermeno said.

Zermeno has a goal to prove his strength after a near-fatal injury last year. He is “determined to display his willpower” by making a comeback during this year’s big homecoming game.

“Last year at the Homecoming game I got a concussion that could have killed me, so I want to make a statement for myself this year and prove I will be better this year,” Zermeno said.

A heartfelt mission drives varsity sophomore player Faith Acha: to secure a victory in his grandmother’s memory.

“This game is especially important to me because it is on my grandma’s birthday, and I want to win for her,” Acha said.

The football team has a tradition of always going to Whataburger after each win and hope they will continue this year after the most important game of the year. Each player has their own motivations and fears for the game, but tradition and team spirit are what drive all of them to do their best. 

“Hopefully we will go celebrate this win as a team,” said Acha.