The student news site of Clements High School

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

Blasting Off Into Leadership

Fort Bend Independent School District Youth Advisory Board (FBISD VOICES) is holding a leadership summit available to all FBISD High School students. This summit is taking place on Oct. 25 during the school day, and it will be an excused absence. 

This year’s summit will revolve around the word resilience, what it means, and how students can apply it to their daily lives. Transportation, food, and admission are free to all students. Click here to learn more.

“I am most excited about the space aesthetic we’ve created this year,” Marshall High School student Olivia Bivins said. “I think it relates well to the theme and students will really enjoy the optics of it.”

The VOICES committee has themed the summit around outer space, with their motto, “FBISD: Launch Your Mission”. Every student attending will receive a themed summit t-shirt and tote bag. To stay on theme, NASA flight director Pooja Jesranni will be sharing her inspirational story and insightful teachings. 

“VOICES is about empowering the next generation of student leaders,” VOICES ambassador Brionna Grapeson said.

If you are unable to make it to the summit, there is still an amazing opportunity to join the Student Leadership Advisory Board. This board is a group of aspiring leaders across all twelve high schools. Four students from each high school meet together once a month during the school day to address the current issues they are facing in the campus and district. In the fall, these students plan the leadership summit, and in the spring, they create proposals and present them to the district. These proposals are solutions to real-time problems students have observed in their campus and district. FBISD recently hired six mental health counselors for the district as a result of VOICES students’ hard work and leadership.

“FBISD VOICES is a student-led advocacy program that allows feedback from students to reach places where they can be heard,” Clements High School student Maahi Kesaria said. “Through the VOICES ambassadors and our town halls, you can make your voice heard and express your concerns regarding CHS or FBISD as a whole!”

Be on the lookout for the September CHS Town Hall, where all can communicate their opinions on this campus.

“Attending a Town Hall is the most effective way to get your opinions and voice heard,” Kesaria said.

Applications for this program will open in February 2024. If you have any questions about the summit or VOICES, message @CHSvoices on Instagram or talk to CHS’s very own representatives: Anna Gratz, Maahi Kesaria, Natalia Camelo, and Michael (Qia) Yu.

“Our summit is going to be one of the best ones I’ve been to.” Grapeson said,” I’m super excited for our awesome speakers this year!”

From left to right: Lizzie Faulkner, Aleeza Sohail, and Simran Jain
From left to right: Brina Patel, Lauren Huye, and Laurice Duan