The student news site of Clements High School

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

Sense and Sensibility

Theatre’s production class is putting on their first show of the year, Sense and Sensibility, on Sep. 21-23. 

The production class has worked hard on the play, both acting and putting together the set. They all have varying roles in the making of the play and have been coming to rehearsals multiple times a week. This class is composed of thespians who have had to audition to get into the class and devote themselves to learning about plays in their class and then using those skills when on stage. 

“This is a new challenge for us,” theatre director Gavin Mundy said. “We’re doing a lot of voice work because it’s all in 18th century British accents so that’s a great opportunity.”

Many of the actors were not previously familiar with accents and the very theatrical production approach this play has. They have had to work on emphasizing the actions and drawing out emotions. 

“It’s really bittersweet,” a lead actress, senior Alyssa Serrano said. “I’m thankful but I’m also really sad because it’s the last production show I’ll be in, but I’m also very proud of what we’ve done.”

Just as there are many new beginnings for upcoming lead actors in this play, for many of the seniors, this is one of their last production shows. The bonds amongst the cast are very strong and they are all learning from each other through the course of this play, constantly providing motivation. 

“We picked Sense and Sensibility because we always need shows that have ample opportunity for female performers,” Mundy said. 

Sense and Sensibility was picked for many of its unique characteristics, but also hugely for its number of female characters to make sure that the production class got roles fit for their abilities and roles that were worthy of many of their last year at Clements.

“If you like romance, come watch it,” stage manager senior Maylena Dang said. “I think it’s a really good show, and it’s very funny.”

Sense and Sensibility is a very romantic and passionate book, and they have attempted to make the play even more thrilling. Both the cast and crew agree that it’s a very humorous show and will have something for everyone. From the complex relationships to the dramatized interpretation, this show is the result of months of hard work that has resulted in a play they are all proud of.  

“It has everything you want,” Serrano said. “It’s funny, there’s romance, it’s dramatic, you’re going to cry and scream and boo and laugh. It’s everything.”