Shailee Modi’s goal(ie) is success

Divvya Seernani, Reporter

Shailee Modi, current junior at Clements, is a hardworking student who has managed to prove herself through academics and especially through her well-known reputation as a member of the CHS Girls’ Varsity Soccer Team.  

Modi’s journey with soccer began when she was a mere four years old and since then, there was no turning back.

My older brother has been playing soccer since he was six or seven. So as he practiced, I would practice with him. Soccer was the first sport I played and I have loved every second of it,” said Modi.

After talking to Shailee, it is clear just how much work varsity soccer can be.

“Soccer requires a lot of discipline both on and off the field, whether it’s getting homework done on a plane or getting up early in the summer to workout. Soccer has taught me to work hard to achieve a goal and to use failure as an instrument for success,” said Modi.

Shailee's friends supporting her on game day!!
Shailee’s friends supporting her on game day!!

Before every game, Shailee blasts her pre-game playlist to remove herself from any distractions so she can focus on the game ahead. She advises others who want to join varsity next year to really work hard. It is important that they care about the team and make it a point to practice almost every day.

“Our team is really looking good this year. Our upperclassmen are fantastic and all bring experience and maturity to the table especially in high pressure situations. We have a slightly younger team than last year with lots of sophomores and a couple freshmen getting the opportunity to play, however they’ve really proved themselves time and time again,” said Modi.

As soccer consumes an ample amount of time, Modi found a way to balance it with her school life.

“It’s definitely difficult with tons of homework and practices in the afternoons but my best tool is just managing my time as wisely as I can and prioritizing the work I have,” said Modi.

Not only is she a member of the Global Studies Academy, a rigorous program that aims to create successful students, but she is also a part of National Honor Society, Spanish National Honor Society, and DECA. In addition, Modi has been chosen as the 2016-2017 Co-Vice President for Spanish National Honor Society, and she has competed her way to Nationals for DECA.

It is this very drive and passion that has allowed her to be a part of the girls’ varsity soccer team all throughout high school. In fact, Modi plans to pursue soccer in college. After displaying phenomenal talent and leadership at every game, scouts began to notice and her performance was rewarded.

“I am now verbally committed to the University of Houston. I am looking forward to getting a quality education while still getting to live my dream. Go Coogs!” said Modi.

Despite this wonderful opportunity that she has received, she has decided not to pursue soccer as a career.

“As much as I love soccer, playing professionally isn’t for me. Soccer is not something I ever want to give up on but with the toll that it takes on your body and with the extensive amount of time a person devotes to soccer, it’s not an ideal lifestyle. Maybe someday I’ll reconsider but as of right now, the answer is no,” says Modi.

But whatever it may be, her drive and desire for success ensures a bright future ahead.