The student news site of Clements High School

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

Get to Know the Yosakoi Club

The Yosakoi dance team has allowed young adults to learn about traditional Japanese dance styles in a casual and lighthearted environment since 2009. Meetings are held in room 2828 every Wednesday after school.

Yosakoi originated in Kōchi, Japan, in 1954 and has spread not only nationally, but also internationally. The Clements Yosakoi Club not only performs at the annual International Festival, but also at other schools, J-Fest, and several other local events.

“You should join [Yosakoi] because it is fun to learn about traditional cultural practices with fellow students,” Yosakoi member Vanessa Lu said. “Also, we are very nice and have pizza!”

In Lu’s first year in the Yosakoi club, she was taught the dance with patience and one-on-one attention by her fellow club members. 

“I did not have any prior experience [with Yosakoi], and my friend [who told me about Yosakoi] taught me patiently,” Lu said.

Senior Kean Liu has been a member of Yosakoi for one year. Liu says the club is “fun and not competitive”. 

“[Yosakoi Club is] just a group of friends who aren’t embarrassed by ourselves and what we’re doing,” Liu said. “ It’s a lot of fun to hang out and learn the dances, team bonding, and even embrace the chaos as well!”

With the club being a lively bunch, there are a few leaders to help organize the members. The club officers serve as the main instructors and organizers for the club.

“The best part of Yosakoi is the people [in the club],” Vice President Charlize Tran said. “The people here are very fun and energetic which I think helps bring the energetic Yosakoi dance to life on stage and still have fun off stage.”

Tran has been a member for two years and says anyone is welcome to join.

“You do not need any prior experience to join [Yosakoi],” Tran said. “The dance moves are easy enough so that anyone can do it. You don’t have to be in Japanese [class] either. We would love more people to join so don’t be afraid to ask us any questions on our socials or at our meetings. It’s not competitive at all. If anything, it is a fun and supportive place.”

Treasurer Ana Natraj says the club has a casual and lighthearted atmosphere.

“Yosakoi meetings are pretty fun,” Natraj said. “Most meetings start off by practicing the dances and redoing them to get the timing right, but overall it’s pretty relaxed. I think people should join because it’s just a fun environment to be around. Everyone in Yosakoi is chill with each other and it’s a bonding experience.”