The student news site of Clements High School

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

ENA: The Opening of a New Chapter

There’s always one web series that many people are not completely aware of, however when people find out about it, they are immediately enamored by it. ENA is a web series that spans three episodes, Ena herself is a female humanoid entity that explores her digitalized world. It looks like one of those games that your older brother used to play on his PlayStation 3. It captivates the modern audience with its mysterious lore and complex character writing. As of recently, the ENA team is planning to release their new season in the form of a video game series called, Dream BBQ. It is set to be released in December of this year. 

“I think I’ve always been invested in weird-core as a whole, so this series definitely hit home when I first watched this”, said Junior Izabella Morales.

The creator of ENA, Joel Guerra, is an animator and artist who had previous works that are similar or relate to the genre of weird core and video web series. His most recent and the one that brought him in the rise of popularity ENA debuted back in 2020, with the first episode being called “Auction Day”. 

“When I first watched this, I was captivated by the colors and general animation.”, said Senior Brandon Wong.

The series ENA fits into the whole aesthetic of weird-core playing with the ideas of subliminal rooms/spaces, and subtle messaging, and it perfectly describes desire and a longing for something.  This can be especially seen in the new installation of the series, ENA: Dream BBQ, as it deeply explores themes such as desire, a longing for some sense of belonging, and much more. 

“Dream BBQ just by the trailer alone blew me away, from the presentation and art direction to the quality of music.”, said Lee. “I am super excited for this game.”

Originally Dream BBQ was meant to be a surprise re-opening to the series that will see the re-introduction to a new Ena. People thought it was going to be another video, just like all the other episodes, however because of a small leak that went semi-viral on Twitter, Joel G. revealed it to be a game that would be released in December 2022. There was a lot of promotion for this upcoming game, such as small videos like “Ena Day”, new merch, and new wallpapers of the project itself. However, it was delayed by a year, and now finally coming out this December, many fans are excited and see the amount of great progress in gameplay in the trailer.

“I just can’t wait for this upcoming chapter of ENA and what will come forth of it,” Lee said. “And I can’t wait to see if Shepherd will be back.”

Link for the trailer here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLurAhsqXWc