• Follow us on twitter @chsroundup

The Round Up

The Round Up

Clements Swim Meet

Sneha Balaji and Zachary Waxali

The Clements High School swim team has had many successes in the past. Clements Swim Team has won district competitions and many athletes have graduated with scholarships to swim for their college. This season, the swim team is being led by captains Jack Hendrickson and Liddie Tillman. Under Ms. Lyman’s coaching, the team will aspire to continue their successes from previous years and wish to conquer swim meets throughout the year.

On Oct. 13, the Clements Swim Team participated in the Fort Bend Classic, held at the Don Cook Natatorium. They competed against schools in the district such as Dulles, Elkins, Kempner, and Ridge Point.

Each team had to participate in “individual events; four maximum per event Relay events and three maximum per event. Each individual may enter four events, no more than two of which may be individual events. Each team is to provide two timers for the complete meet,” as listed in the Fort Bend Classic form on the Fort Bend Independent School District website.

The team was judged by six judges and one referee during their UIL competition. There were also two stroke and turn judges as well as two poolside take off judges. Scoring ranges from one to eight and the top three are awarded a medal.

Boys received first place in the Boys White 343 event and second place in the Boys Blue 330 event. Girls took first place in Girls White 426 event and fourth place in the Girls Blue 240 event. In addition to the success of the Clements High School swimmers at the Fort Bend Classic, Meredith Brown set a new meet record in the 50 backstroke event with 27.15 seconds.

The Clements Swim Team will continue to strive for success in further meets throughout this season. Upcoming events include two additional district meets, regionals, and potentially the Texas State Meet, which is to be held on Feb. 15-16, 2019.

Because of the hard work and determination of the athletes, “I think we will continue to win more and make it to state,” said captain Jack Hendrickson. “We will continue to work hard for the rest of the season.”

About the Writer
Zachary Waxali, Reporter

I am Zachary Waxali. I am a senior at Clements High School in Sugar Land, Texas. I enjoy playing soccer, especially on the Clements Soccer Team, as well as spending time with friends and family. This is my first year as a writer for CHS Round-Up and I am excited for all the opportunities to write about this year.