Rodeo season kicks off this Spring

Zehra Jaffari, Student Life Editor

Funnel cake, cowboy boots, and attractions, the Rodeo is here! With Spring Break just around the corner, Houston has many different activities, events, and places to attend. The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is a series of events taking place this March 7-26, 2017 where the public can participate in various activities.

This year the rodeo has invited many new and different performers: Aaron Watson, Old Dominion, Chris Stapleton, Alicia Keys, Alan Jackson, The Chainsmokers, Sam Hunt, Demi Lovato, Thomas Rhett, Luke Bryan, Fifth Harmony, Willie Nelson, Banda el Recodo, Siggno, Florida Georgia Line, ZZ Top, Chris Young, Blink-182, Dierks Bentley, Brad Paisley, and the Zac Brown Band. Ranging from country singers, R&B, Jazz, and electronic dance music, this year’s Rodeo appeals to all types of people.

The carnival will also be taking place at NRG stadium with games, prizes, rides, and many types of food. BBQ, corn dogs, funnel cakes, and nachos are the most famous to name a few. This years Rodeo Carnival has a special offer to those who attend during Spring break; named the Spring Break Stampede, this special offer of half-priced carnival tickets will take place from Monday, March 13 through Friday, March 17. Another discount, called the Half-Price Carnival Pack, is on sale from Monday, November 21, 2016 – Saturday, March 4, 2017, where the carnival tickets, food, and rides are all half-off!

Additionally, the rodeo has many other activities and events to watch or participate in. The BBQ contest, Rodeo Run, Downtown Parade, Ranching & Wildlife expo, and even cattle, sheep, and livestock herding activities with FFA. The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo also provides grants, scholarships, school field trips, and awards as they emphasize their way of supporting education and youth. Every year students can participate and win in the Livestock Show and Rodeo Art contest as well as the livestock events to win money towards their education or awards.

Rodeohouston is particularly unique in which it has special events and days because Houston is known for its diverse demographics and cultures. With an event for Armed Forces Appreciation and Special Needs Events, Rodeo Houston encourages people to show appreciation for their country and armed forces in red, white, and blue. The Special Needs Event is specifically for special needs kids to have fun in the various activities the rodeo offers. Along with these two events, Rodeo Houston has a Black Heritage Day, First Responders Day, International Day, and Go Tejano Day to appeal to Houston’s diversity and people.

From individual ticket sales, season passes, and even group tickets, the Rodeo has many channels in which people can purchase tickets for this unique and fun event. For all things Rodeo 2017, anyone can download the Rodeohouston app for event updates, activities, information on parking and seating, fun camera filters, and dining information.