DECA revamps club requirements

Zehra Jaffari, Student Life Editor

With DECA starting this year, there have been many new and unique changes that will benefit almost everyone interested in joining the club. Whether you are looking for new volunteer opportunities, scholarship applications for up to $5,000, business experience or problem solving skills, DECA is the best club for you. There are many categories for the DECA competitions including Hospitality and Tourism, Business Management and Administration, Entrepreneurship, Marketing, Finance, and Personal Finance Literacy. DECA also offers various principal categories that are only for first year members. DECA competitions usually consist of a multiple choice test and a role play, where you are given a situation based on your category, and you are to problem solve to find a solution. Other DECA categories include written events on a company or even inventing your own project. This year there is a new requirement for DECA, stating that all new members need to be in a CTE class to participate in the events and competition. These CTE classes include any business or speech class at Clements. This year Texas DECA is partnering with build-a-bear to create the best bear to donate for the kids in this years community service campaign. So help our DECA chapter win the community service campaign by donating and building your bears!

This year, DECA’s district leader is Clements High School’s very own, Saif Khan, who is a senior. The co-presidents this year are Saad Khawaja and Roma Shah. There are also various vice presidents for different categories and positions including vice presidents of competition, Marketing, Finance, Membership, and more!!! Along with the vice presidents, Clements DECA has directors for upcoming competition prep, volunteer programs, social programs, scholarships opportunities, and promotional teams.  With their new officers, Clements DECA is hoping to bring in the newest members in the state and take all of them to the State and International competition. This year Texas DECA’s CDC (Career Development Conference) is in San Antonio, Texas and ICDC ( International Career Development Conference) is in Anaheim, California, home of Disneyland!

DECA allows you to meet new people, problem solve, speak publicly, volunteer, earn scholarships, and win! Clements DECA is willing to help each new and returning member study and prepare for the District competition through various study sessions and practice exams. The officers are looking forward to helping new members find a category that they are interested in and are willing to assist them in practice role plays and tests. There are three mini competitions that Clements participates in for practice before the actual District competition that is helpful to all.

With big goals this year, Clements DECA is ready to work hard for this years competition! Join DECA and be epic!