The student news site of Clements High School

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

Digging Deep Into the MSA Club

The Muslim Student Association (MSA) held its first meeting on Sep. 8 after school. Meetings are held every Friday for Muslim students in either English teacher Hedaya Kelani’s room, room 1132, or the library.

MSA members learn about their religion and participate in fun activities together to bond with one another and explore more about Islam. 

“I get to see a lot of students outside of class doing their own thing, and it’s nice to see that since it’s different to see the way they conversate during the school day in their classrooms compared to how they speak to one another in an after school club setting,” Kelani said.

MSA sponsor Hedaya Kelani

Although students may have time to socialize during the school day, during MSA they are put in a different environment to interact with one another and with different topics to discuss. Most students relate in some way, whether it’s by religion or culture in this club. These two categories can start up a lot of conversations and topics to talk about like their daily life and what they all believe in which you don’t really see being discussed as much during a typical school day. 

“This club really enriches my mind and makes me think from different perspectives,” freshman Aayan Farooqi said. “I am proud of my faith and like talking to people about my faith in general which this club allows me to do.”

Despite these students coming into this club as Muslims who may know a lot about their religion, MSA teaches students things they may not have known before. Having all the students together and constantly discussing and interacting with one another allows them to adapt and learn from each other which creates a better understanding of their religion. They also get time to talk about things they may not feel as comfortable talking about during school hours.

MSA students gathered together and listened after praying.

“MSA has really impacted me by getting me spiritually closer to god and my religion but I also get to see the same happen to others who attend,” sophomore Ali Khan said. “I’m constantly surrounded with so many people who share similar interests as me which just amuses me.”

In addition, being a part of this club can help Muslim students bond more not only with their religion but with people a part of it as well. Seeing all the students who are also interested in this club and want to learn more about it encourages other students to join as well. Students knowing some people have the same interests and beliefs as them build strong friendships and those can be made at this club. Farooqi said that he made many friends who he can connect with in MSA and sees a “great future” with them.

“People usually oversee Islam, but in MSA it allows you to learn more about the religion and see the true beauty of Islam,” freshman Laila Ghafour said. “This club allows me to feel at peace knowing I’m surrounded with people I am friends with who share the same peace.”

MSA students praying all together