The student news site of Clements High School

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

A Spirited Night: MUN Fundraiser

Model United Nations (MUN) hosted a fundraiser on Friday, Dec. 9 from 4-9 p.m. at Sharetea, a popular bubble tea shop. 25% of all profits went to cover individual costs for MUN members at competitions.

MUN recently had a weekend-long conference, Central Texas MUN, at UT Austin. 

“It’s my first year and my first conference and it was really fun,” sophomore Emma John said. 

The team won double the awards from last year. 

“It was a very fun time,” junior and club officer Joshua Pietsch said. “I think that we did a lot better than last year and going in, we had a lot more experience.”

MUN delegates who had experience in the past did win awards.

“I won second security counsel!” sophomore Salma Dinari said. 

Dinari, in her second year in MUN, shared the sentiment that the conference was a success, though they are hoping to decrease costs for Houston Area MUN, a February conference at the University of Houston.

“The average cost per person to attend a conference is around $60,” Pietsch said. “This will help delegates attend conferences.” 

The upcoming conference is also open to everyone. 

“The way we do sign-ups is anyone can join as long as they come in, pay dues, and come to the mock conferences,” Pietsch said. “We can help them prepare for the competition.”

With 43 people planning to attend HAMUN, more than the attendance for CT MUN, MUN is looking for another success. 

“We’re definitely going to win more awards!” Dinari said.