The student news site of Clements High School

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

New Year, New Leaders

Waiting outside the directors’ office alongside their competition, the juniors and seniors are hit with an unexplainable cocktail of emotions: Anxiety. Anticipation. Happiness. Who will be chosen? 

As the door opens, a wave of tension washes over them as they all know that even after much deliberation, and hard work, only some can be chosen as section leaders, while many will walk away empty-handed.

With the new school year comes an orientation of section leaders for the band program. Having been chosen last April and May due to their leadership capabilities and drive to further the program, they function as the glue that holds the band together, along with being mentors and inspirations towards their pupils.

“We have a lot of competitions coming up, even more hours of practice, but I mean, seeing how the show progresses along with the overall attitude in marching, this is what this [being a section leader] is all about,” senior woodwind section leader Theodore Lin said.

All section leaders serve as group managers for their section, with added responsibilities like taking care of their section and their instruments. This doesn’t just mean simply being a good marcher, but someone who’s dependable and focused. 

“The section leaders are in charge of getting things moving, rehearsals go efficiently, instruments are maintained, and that the directors will for us gets passed down to the marchers,” senior low reeds section leader Guha Mahesh said. “I’m also having to both be someone’s friend and have the ability to distance that friendship when there’s work to get done.”

Being leaders and friends is not what they are limited to, as every section leader has the potential to foster the desire to become one within their section. This contributes to marchers’ drive to run, as they foster a competitive environment, allowing for a smooth yearly rotation.

“The biggest inspiration for me was definitely my other friends since they all wanted to be outstanding members in the band,” Lin said “They [section leaders] wanted to make sure people were getting engaged as much as possible, and they wanted people to love band as much, if not more, than themselves.”

Last year’s marching show brought a rare loss for the band; the inability to make the state competition. With a chip on their shoulder, all of the band kids and section leaders are motivated to make it state this year and make another effort to place higher than other years. And the key to winning state according to the section leaders is the readiness of the freshman. 

“Most of the freshmen aren’t starting really on the actual performance but we put them in for run-throughs and in some football game performances, and I’ve seen a lot of improvement from when they first started,” senior saxophone section leader Zayaan Surnessra said.

With the 23-24 season comes a time for redemption as the band practices their show, “‘Round the Fire.” As a more complicated piece, it displays harder tunes, more elaborate props, and harder choreography – a breath of fresh air from last year’s show.

“This year, I think our show is very innovative and there are a lot of things going on in it that could make a massive difference, and potentially get us to the state level,” Mahesh said. “In general, I see a much greater chance of us making a state compared to last year, as we have a much better show and greater motivation to perform.”

As Theodore, Guha, and Zayaan leave the directors’ office, they enter a new beginning in their stories as marchers, shedding their previous titles, wishing to become the type of leader who inspired their journey. Becoming a section leader for them may present its fair share of difficulties, but they are ready and prepared to lead their fellow marchers to success.