The student news site of Clements High School

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

2023 Cuties: Recap & Review

The annual Clements Cuties Contest was held on Saturday, Sep. 23. Many of our Rangers packed into the auditorium excited to see what this year’s Cuties had up their sleeves. The show started off with introductions of all 30 cuties chosen by our fellow Rangers, many had lots of memorable sayings from “My mommy is watching” and “You cannot spell cutie without I”.

Afterwards, the announcer introduced our judges for this year’s contest, Ms. Mayo, Coach Oakley, and former cutie Mr. Sweeney! Following the introduction, the 2023-2024 Stars Officers put on a great dance performance and the audience went wild. However, the crowd went even more wild at the Cuties Group Dances! Started off strong with the first group’s Barbie Movie-inspired dance portraying the different “Kens” where they sang the song “I’m Just Ken”. Afterwards, we went to Brown Town where the second group performed a South Asian-inspired dance in traditional South Asian clothes. The performance was beautiful since other Cuties from diverse backgrounds proudly danced along. These were the most memorable performances but there were plenty of great ones such as the group where they did an emotional swimming performance with classical music. Lastly, two cuties put on a great show singing and playing the piano.

Following the group performances, the audience voted for the best one and the winner was the Ken-inspired group dance, and the runner-up was “Brown Town”.

Before the top 10 were announced, the Stars put on another performance, this time starring all the Stars and daunting pom poms, of course, the crowd went wild again with this great performance.  Then the top 10 finalists were voted on by the judges and announced! I was sad to see some of our favorites go, but they put on a great performance. Lastly, the 10 cuties were asked a random question to win the judge’s heart, and after a brief intermission, the votes were in. 

The 2023 Senior Cutie was Philip Tian! It was a well-deserved win in my book since he was pulling everyone’s heartstrings the whole time, and saying his biggest inspiration was his mom and always giving shout-outs to her since she was his biggest fan.

The 2023 Senior Cuties Contest was a success, and every nominated Cutie did an excellent job. I cannot wait to see what next year’s senior Cuties will have in store for us next year.