Annual iFest Set for March 24

iFest is a cultural fundraiser that occurs every year at Clements.  With the help of a team of officers, consisting of two presidents, a vice president, decorations coordinator, restaurant coordinator, a volunteer coordinator, and many other students, this fantastic event comes to life. Katherine Greene, an English teacher here at Clements, is the sponsor who makes sure everything comes together. This team begins planning for iFest at the beginning of the school year and starts making it come to life after first semester.

iFest was created about five years ago to celebrate the cultural diversity at Clements. It is a way to celebrate the cultural heritage of the students here at Clements. Many of their parents come directly from these countries and it’s a fun way to express the students’ heritage.

“There are so many misconceptions in the media about different cultures,” says Greene.

Often times with diversity, comes a lack of acceptance. Many TV shows and books tend to create stereotypes as a joke, but it is not very funny. Clements wants to try and change this. It is meant to show that everyone’s heritage has a special meaning and a unique part to our culture.  

“It is important to learn these things while you’re young. Before the media spoils everything,” remarked Greene.

iFest is a great way to experience cultures that aren’t normally experienced in everyday lives. There are many dances that are fun to watch and music that is enjoyable to listen to. It’s a way to see how others live their lives daily and learn to enjoy it and respect it at the same time.  

iFest is going to be Thursday, March 24th, in the commons and the hallways surrounding it. The theme this year is “Seven Wonders of the World”. There will be activities to participate in, cultural dances, cultural music, and food from different countries to enjoy. Anybody can come and participate. It is only $5.00 to get in. Every year there are hundreds of people from the community, Clements students, parents and families of the students, and even other schools that come and enjoy all that there is at iFest. It is the school’s biggest fundraiser.