• Follow us on twitter @chsroundup

The Round Up

The Round Up

Clements FFA

Back to Article
Back to Article

Clements FFA

Laurenz Quinto

The annual Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo runs from Feb. 25 to Mar. 17, taking place at NRG Park. Members of the Clements High School chapter of the Future Farmers of America are attending the rodeo this year and participating in its many events.

The Future Farmers of America, or FFA, is a national student-led organization with a point of emphasis on agriculture and leadership. Students can participate in teams, raise animals, or make friends with the same interests.

“The mission of FFA is to make a positive difference in the lives of students by developing their potential for premier leadership, personal growth, and career success through agriculture education,” FFA advisor Michelle Goss said.

According to Goss there are new rules and guidelines this year, but the formatting of the events remains the same. This year, members of the FFA will participate in the lamb, goat, broiler, pig, and steer shows. They will also be several contests: horse judging, floral judging, rodeo cup, and steer scramble. Other events to look forward to are posted on the website for the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.

“Also, while you’re at the rodeo, check out the Agventure area in NRG Center,” Goss said. “It’s a great opportunity to learn about agriculture.”

FFA just has not been preparing for the rodeo. On April 28, the organization will be hosting an Agriculture Olympics competition.

“Teams will consist of five members and we are opening sign-ups to other organizations that would like to create a team and join,” Goss said.

This competition demands a lot of commitment from each student, and each one has demonstrated that by devoting “countless hours” to studying, practicing, and working with an animal.

“Animals are raised anywhere from 9 months to 6 weeks, depending on the species,” Goss said. “We begin practicing for CDE’s, or Career Development Events, at the beginning of the semester and attend practice competitions, leading up to our area competitions in April.”

Support the Clements FFA’s efforts in the rodeo and in the Agriculture Olympics this year. Other chapters are also selling their programs outside of the stadium to garner to spread word of Future Farmers of America.

“Clements won’t be there, but be sure to support other Houston area FFA chapters by purchasing one,” Goss said.

About the Writer
Laurenz Quinto, Reporter

My name is Laurenz Quinto. I am a junior from Clements High School.  My main interests are in history, science, and writing. I also enjoy reading, playing...