Student Fundraiser For Leukemia

Zachary Waxali, Reporter

$77,777 is the amount of money that Liddie Tillman’s fundraising campaign Crushin’ It hopes to raise for The Lymphoma and Leukemia Society. By taking part in a seven-week challenge led by the Students of the Year Campaign, the winner is the team that can earn the most money.

Team Crushin’ It intends to raise their donation goal as well as bring attention to the severity of blood cancer. Team Crushin’ It, led by senior Liddie Tillman, is made up of 15 students of various ages within the Houston area who have come together to accomplish their common aspiration.

The Leukemia and Lymphoma society has been receiving donations since 1949 and invested $1.2 billion into research for a cure for Leukemia, Lymphoma, Hodgkin’s Disease, and Myeloma. According to the Lymphoma and Leukemia Society’s online mission page, with donations, the LLS is able to provide “free blood cancer information, education, and support for patients, survivors, families and healthcare professionals.” Dedicated to fighting and curing blood cancer, LLS will use donated money to advance “breakthroughs in immunotherapy, genomics, and personalized medicine”.

Tillman, along with her friends are raising money for “a young patient hero who is currently battling or is in remission from a blood cancer,” said Tillman. Within the Student of the Year contest, there are numerous teams competing to earn the most donations for a good cause. With a goal of $77,777, Tillman and Team Crushin’ It could win the contest and provide money that could improve the lives of patients suffering from Leukemia or Lymphoma. But why set a goal of $77,777? Why not set a goal of $100,000?

“We chose this goal because 7 is the number of spiritual perfection,” explained Liddie Tillman. “It is the number which is stamped on every work of God. Even though our goal may be high, we are willing to work non-stop to achieve it.”

With the modern era bringing new technologies and opportunity, the 1960s first struck the start to developing a cure for blood cancer. The numerous cures developed by the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society for blood cancer have been successful in treating other cancers and diseases. Tillman believes that the funds her team raises will be used effectively towards increasing the survival rates of cancer.

The seven-week contest began Jan. 11. People interested in helping Tillman’s cause to find a cure can help by donating money to https://events.lls.org/txg/HoustonSOY19/etillman.

For teachers, with every $15 dollar donation, a t-shirt supplied by Team Crushin’ It will be delivered to you.

“I want nothing more than to include my wonderful school in this amazing opportunity to not only improve my community but also help save lives,” wrote Tillman in an email sent to her high school faculty and staff. “On behalf of blood cancer patients everywhere, thank you for your support! We really are changing the face of blood cancer!”

For more information regarding Leukemia and Lymphoma and ways to get involved and donate, visit www.lls.org.