• Follow us on twitter @chsroundup

The Round Up

The Round Up

Seniors prepare as graduation nears

Back to Article
Back to Article

Seniors prepare as graduation nears

Abby Gutierrez, Editor In Chief

Cap and gown purchases and invitation orders are top priority for seniors as their last class event quickly approaches: graduation. This year, graduation is set to take place on Thursday, May 31st at 1:00 P.M.

While students begin plan for their futures and look forward to life outside of high school, the lingering memories of meeting lifelong friends through organizations, clubs, and sports have seniors feeling bittersweet about the transition.

“I’m obviously regretful that I have to leave my closest peers and classmates, but I’m grateful to have had the chance to meet so many amazing and diverse people,” senior Wendi Zhang said. “[My friends] have made me a hard worker, a better friend, and overall the person I am today.”

Former NHS Sac Chairwoman Nabeeha Engineer has also thought about leaving her closest friends. Engineer said the transition has been “surreal” and is shocked by how quickly life in high school went.

“I can’t even imagine that the past four years have flown by so fast,” Engineer said. “I feel like freshman year was forever ago, but at the same time, I don’t feel any different. It’s crazy.”

While many seniors are reminiscing over old times and past memories, others are focusing on the future and what their lives will soon look like. Senior Andy Xu is excited to “escape” the world of high school as he sets his sights on studying Aerospace Engineering at Princeton University.

“I’m excited for college. I know the community is really great, and I’m excited to meet new people,” Xu said. “I’m also looking forward to having more time to go on rock hunting trips.”

Senior Jason Wang is eagerly looking forward to graduation as it sets him “free” to go back to his home country and reunite with friends and family.

“After three years, I can now go back to China and see all of my friends back in China who are waiting for me,” Wang said.

Varsity cross country senior Natalie Hattan is not only “ready to graduate” but is ready to experience many adventures during her traveling this summer.

“I’m going to be doing some traveling in Europe,” Hattan said. “I’ll also be visiting my family who all live in New Zealand and might attend university there in the fall.”

Varsity choir senior Elizabeth Schaaf is both emotional and excited as she says goodbye to her high school experience and embarks on a new journey.

“This summer I’m going to Italy and Greece as a graduation present and I’m super excited about that and so much more,” Schaaf said.

About the Writer
Abby Gutierrez, Editor In Chief

Hi! I’m Abby Gutierrez, and I’m currently a Senior at Clements High School. This is my third year on the Roundup Staff. I am originally from Houston,...