• Follow us on twitter @chsroundup

The Round Up

The Round Up

Cross Country season opens its stride

Scott Johnson, Viewpoints Editor

The Clements Cross Country team had a late start to their season since Fort Bend ISD cancelled the Run the Ridge meet, the Geohering Invitational, and the Region III preview due to Hurricane Harvey. One meet was rescheduled to take place at CHS with Travis High School’s team coming for some competition. While the team missed those important races, the goal still remains to reclaim first place in District 6A, after losing the title in 2016 after a four year run as champion.

The first official meet took place on September 15th at Deer Park. Natalie Hattan and Vania Ortiz  medaled for the Varsity Girls, and Alvaro Espinosa and David Bryan medaled for the Varsity Boys. The runners performed well considering that it was their first meet of the season. At the following meet in the Runnin’ Texas Invitational, Brihu Sundaraman finished 2nd in a close Varsity Boys race that came down to the last 100 meters with a very muddy course. Also Vania Ortiz and Natalie Hattan medaled for the Varsity Girls, with Vania Ortiz finishing 8th and Natalie Hattan finishing 15th. In the Cougar Classic, only a few miles away from campus, Brihu Sundaraman finished third on another tough muddy course, that had mud up past the knees for many runners. Later, in the Varsity Girls Meet, Natalie Hattan and Vania Ortiz both medaled again, with Natalie Hattan in 15th and Vania Ortiz in 27th. At the PHS Invitational, Brihu Sundaraman finished 2nd in a very competitive race for the Varsity Boys, and Vania Ortiz came in 5th, Alessandra Vennema came in 14th and Natalie Hattan in 26th for the Varsity Girls.

With district meets coming up on October 12th, every meet, practice, and mile count. The team has been training and working hard every day with Coach Patrick Krall and Coach Chelsea Johnson, who make sure that every student gives their all. The battles for the Varsity spots also makes up a big part of the season with about 20 boys and 15 girls compete for the seven Varsity spots on each side. Brihu Sundararaman and Natalie Hattan, the captains for the male and female runners, both qualified for Regionals last year. Brihu said that, “Everyone that shows up to the practices and meets, gives 100% to the team”.  Natalie said that,” I’m very proud of the work that the team gives and that the competition between the team makes us all better.” While they are both seniors, they lead the team with a positive impact as they lead the team in practices each and every day on their journey for another district championship. While the season doesn’t last as long as some would hope, the friendships that are made there, will last for a long time. Next year starts a new season for the team, and if interested, talk to Coach Krall or Coach Johnson, in hopes of getting CHS another District 6A title.

The meets for the rest of the season are as follows:

Thursday, October 12th-District 20-6A Championship

Monday, October 23rd-Region III 6A Championship

Saturday, November 4th-State 6A Championship

About the Writer
Scott Johnson, Viewpoints Editor

My name is Scott Johnson, and I am a first year in Newspaper. I was born in Virginia Beach, Virginia, and I am the oldest of three. When I was nine, I moved here to Texas. I like to do broadcast journalism as well and hope to continue it in college. I also run for the cross country team at Clements. In my free time, I like to watch both college and professional football. My favorite teams are the Florida State Seminoles and the Miami Dolphins.