NBA teams compete in finals

Zehra Jaffari, Student Life Editor

The annual NBA finals are underway, and two of the most powerful teams are once again competing in the conference finals. The Golden State Warriors, starring Stephen Curry and their newest teammate, Kevin Durant versus the Cleveland Cavaliers, starring LeBron James, Kyrie Irving, and JR Smith are both headed to the Conference Finals for the third year in a row. Both teams started the playoff games making history. The Warriors and Cavaliers were named the first pair of teams to start the playoffs 8-0, sweeping all the teams they have competed against.

For the Western Conference Finals, the San Antonio Spurs, who recently defeated the Houston Rockets in Round 2, are now going against the Warriors. One of the Spurs’ star players, Kawhi Leonard, got injured in Game 1 of the Conference Finals, and Durant recently returned back to play from an injury. The first game was a close one with a score of 111-113, with the Warriors leading 1-0 in the series. Kevin Durant and Curry had amazing performances on the court Sunday night where Curry had 40 points and Durant had 34.

For the Eastern Conference Finals, the Cavaliers will face the Boston Celtics. The Celtics just finished their series with the Wizards, eliminating them in Round 2 and making it to the conference finals after a competitive series. Game 1 and 2 of the Eastern Conference Finals will take place in Cleveland with Game 1 on May 17th and Game 2 on May 19th. Isiah Thomas, point guard for the Boston Celtics, had 29 points in Game 7 against the Washington Wizards, leading them to win and move on to the Conference Finals. The Celtics played a high scoring game, with the series tied 3-3; the competitiveness and thrill made many Boston fans proud to represent their city once again since the era of Paul Pierce vs Kobe during the Lakers’ last championship. The winner of these two powerful teams will make it onto the final round, the Finals, to determine the championship team.

After the conference finals, the two teams that win four games first will move on to the Finals that will take place the first and second week of June. Last year, the Cavaliers took home their first ring with LeBron James. This year, the Celtics, Warriors, and Spurs have the opportunity to also compete for this title. In addition, the Larry O’Brien NBA Championship Trophy will be awarded to the championship team. Many fans across the world are looking forward to their favorite teams winning, while most hope for LeBron, Curry, and Durant to receive another title for their team.

Last year, 30 million fans watched Game 7 of the NBA finals, breaking the record for the most watched game ever. This year, the viewers are expected to increase where people from all over the world will be watching. The host cities will have viewing parties and enjoy cheering on their teams to see who will be the NBA Finals Champion for 2017.