’17 brings new year, new you

Abby Gutierrez, Editor-In-Chief

Where has the time gone? It’s 2017 and everyone is already talking about their New Year’s resolutions to better themselves this year. True, most people eventually give up on or forget their resolutions about two months into the new year, but you can make a change this year to make 2017 count. Here are a few ideas to get you started!

Get organized!: If you’re a messy “eh I’ll find it later” type of person, then great, but there’s always room for organization to kickstart the year. Start organizing and decluttering your house, room, or workplace now so this year you can enjoy finding what you need without the shuffling through papers and stress over finding your belongings.

Eat healthier: Put away those chocolate bars and start buying carrots and bananas because a great way to begin the year is to implement a healthier aspect in your meals. You can begin eating better by making sure you get all the fruits, vegetables and protein you need for each day! Although, remember it’s completely fine to cheat a bit with favorite foods, but in moderation just be sure not to go crazy.

Give to others: This year you can make a difference in many people’s lives, simply by having a conversation or bagging food for the less fortunate. Anyone’s year can be made great by volunteering for others who need the help and by giving more to charity.

Save up: Use this year as an opportunity to save money and expand your savings account! It’s important to know how to manage your savings and be smart with your money. Eventually you may also be able to spend your savings on something extremely worthwhile.

Get in shape: Work hard towards summer for that “beach bod” and start 2017 right by exercising and creating a daily workout routine. Exercise is a crucial part in everyone’s lives, and getting into shape can be a great motivator for you to keep yourself healthy.

Step out of your comfort zone: Most people are content with spending time alone and doing things on their own, but this year could be an opportunity to break out of your shell and meet new people by being more outspoken and social. It can be as simple as saying hi to someone new in the hallway or striking up a conversation with a fellow student you may not know very well. So, this year get out there and put your personality out there. It may pay off!

Get more quality sleep: Sleep seems to be something we all, especially students, lack nowadays which can affect sleeping patterns and activeness during the day. Regulating our sleep and making sure you get at least 8 hours each night is a great way to stay healthy and well-nourished for the next day.

Become more active: Make this year the perfect time to explore and find adventures all around the world! Don’t stay in one place because what fun is that? Go out in the world and see new sights with friends and family. Everyone can use a little spontaneity in their lives, so make this year, your year!

Learn a new language: Make a goal for yourself to become more cultured and knowledgeable about the world by learning a new language. This can help you communicate with different types of people, and it can be a great activity to keep up with in your down time.

Face your fears/insecurities: Everyone has fears and insecurities they feel towards themselves, but what could be better than spending a whole year learning to overcome those fears and doubts you have for yourself? Start the year off strong and make a checklist composed of the fears you’re determined to overcome and do it!

Start writing a book/journal: Not only should you explore the world this year, but write it down so you can remember every last bit of your adventure. Journaling can be fun and will give you something to do in your free time. Writing a book can also release inner creativity you may not have thought you even had.

Learn to defend yourself: Being pushed around isn’t a problem for you anymore because now you’re learning how to fight and defend yourself. Physically defending yourself is a necessity because you never know the situation you may get into this year. At least now you won’t feel helpless against your enemy.

Look up from your phone!: Look up for once! Smell the roses and look at the world when you’re off your phone. You could be missing out on so many things because you’re glued to your phone, so take a break from social media and cell phones because you may not realize something huge you’ll experience this year.