Community volunteers for holidays

Community volunteers for holidays

Abby Gutierrez, Editor-In-Chief

Ho Ho Ho Santa’s coming to town and with him, many gifts of love and joy for the holidays. Even though Santa’s the man with the fancy toys, he’s not the only one who can make a difference in children and families lives this winter.

This season there are more volunteer opportunities than ever around the community to get involved with. Volunteering will change a life who may not be looking forward to this year’s holidays or who don’t have high hopes for fun and joyful experiences. Therefore, look into some wonderful activities for families and loved ones to help someone in need, so everyone can feel the true spirit of the holidays.

Make-A-Wish Foundation – There are many organizations overflowing with opportunities to help the neighbors around us; one being the chance to provide a gift for someone and make their holiday wish come true! This foundation provides gifts and wishes to patients in extreme medical conditions. It’s never too late to join and hopefully make a difference in a person’s life this holiday season.

Houston Food Bank – The food bank is always looking for volunteers! This is a place where people are able to help package and distribute different kinds of food and meals to some who aren’t able to provide for their families. Many homeless individual and families come to see the generosity of their neighbors and anyone can be a part of the festivities also!

Community Tutoring – With exams in a couple weeks into the holiday season, it’s a great idea to look around the neighborhood to see if any classmates need one-on-one tutoring help for school. It’s a positive way to encourage hard work and friendship throughout the holidays. People may also gain the satisfaction of helping a fellow student out in a time of stress and pressure from school.

Annual Christmas Eve Feast – Join others in Houston’s grand gathering to put on the 36th Annual Christmas Eve Big Feast hosted at the George R. Brown Center. The event is shaping up to be a huge turnout with a great number of families and groups of people coming to volunteer. It’s a wonderful activity to take part in this holiday season with family and friends to highlight the true meaning of coming together as a community for the greater good of others.

Soup Kitchens – There are many soup kitchens around the area that people can search for to help pass out food and warm meals to homeless families and people. Especially around the holidays, many people don’t have food to eat and celebrate with for grand family feasts. Instead, they hope for the kindness and generosity of others to help make their winter season memorable. It’s a great way to help out those in need of help and care.

On top of many other organizations, these are just a few programs that people can take part in this season to experience what it means to be a giving neighbor and friend. It helps others experience the true spirit and meaning of the holiday season.