Election stirs controversy

Election stirs controversy

Ruhee Marfathia, Viewpoints Editor

On November 8th, Americans around the country were introduced to their new President, Donald Trump. Some people were shocked, upset, angry, and in disbelief; for others, it was one of the happiest day of their lives. But in the midst of all the mixed emotions, one feeling stood out the most: fear.

USA Today has said that, “the rise [in hate crimes] appear to be even worse than what…took place immediately after the terror attacks in 2001.” Since the election, there have been many cases of vandalism and threats being made to minority groups, and now, they have fear instilled in their minds. On Wednesday, the word “TRUMP!” was written on the door of a Muslim mosque in New York City. In a Minnesota high school, the bathroom doors and toilet paper dispensers were vandalized with, “make America great again,” “whites only,” and “go back to Africa,” among other things. On a wall in Durham, North Carolina there was painted, “black lives don’t matter and neither do your votes,” and in Redding, California, a high school student gave out slips of paper with the word “deported” written on them. This post election hate crimes are not only making people angry, but they are also making them very upset and fear for themselves and their loved ones lives.

Right after the election, stock prices when down. Many people were uncertain about what would happen to the economy with a new president. Investors do not like uncertainty; during the time of the election, people are often in the dark about who will win and how their policies will impact the stock market. The impact is very minor at the moment because Donald Trump is only the president elect, but many say that his first few days of presidency may lead to some stock values dropping, but that’s not something to fear about. Once investors know his policies, the stock market will be back to normal.