Prograd gone bad!

Prograd gone bad!

Abby Gutierrez, Reporter

Prograd takes place after graduation for all the seniors. The program was originally created to save high school students from excessive partying, drinking, and driving. This organization is usually constantly busy- working all year long fundraising money to pay for the location the party will be held at and all the expenses necessary such as food and games. It has become a place where students go after graduation to have fun by playing games, signing yearbooks, hanging out one last time with friends, and eating lots of fun food.

Prograd has been an annual Clements tradition for years now.  This year Prograd has not been as productive or important as it has been in the past, and due to lack of  volunteers who help with fundraising and chaperoning, and a lack of general interest by the students,  Prograd has been canceled. There simply has not been as many people participating in the program this year as there have been in  previous years.

Most of the reason Prograd has not been prioritized is because many students and parents lack understanding of what exactly the committee does.  There has been recent talk about putting Prograd back on if more parent volunteers are willing to chaperone and help fundraise. But, because many people are uninformed, there has not been any action towards bringing Prograd back.

“I don’t know much about Prograd to be honest. I know it’s something for the seniors, but other than that, not much. Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think it’s a huge deal at Clements compared to Prom or Homecoming Spirit Week.” said Beryce Garcia, senior.

What does this mean for Clements students? Graduation is an exciting and exhilarating time, and it is easy to get carried away and over celebrate. There has been a history in many parts of the country of students drinking and driving after graduation and even getting seriously injured and killed. Without Prograd, Clements parents and students could be looking at the same risks and dangers.

College Binge Drinking states, “One third of those under the age of 21 who die in accidents lose their lives during graduation season.” Without Prograd, students are more likely to lose themselves in the excitement of graduation.  Many hope the lack of a CHS Prograd party does not spell disaster for anyone, just because of general apathy.