The student news site of Clements High School

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

Procrastination Problems

+Emily+Mcknight%2C+Maddie+Teverovski%2C+and+Karli+Levy+work+on+assignments+due+the+next+period+because+they+procrastinated.
Laila Younes
Emily Mcknight, Maddie Teverovski, and Karli Levy work on assignments due the next period because they procrastinated.

Have you ever found yourself promising to start working on an important thing ‘tomorrow’ only to realize ‘tomorrow’ never really comes? 

Why does procrastination hold so much power over our choices and actions? 

This is an ongoing problem that’s been happening worldwide for many years. According to Merriam-Webster, procrastination is “to put off intentionally and habitually”. This is a bad habit that results in students turning work in late, or waiting for the last second to do it, which can cause stress or less effort shown in their work.

“Procrastination causes me to miss my deadlines, and sometimes not get the grade I would like,” sophomore Shanzay Khan said.

Over time this bad habit has become very popular and has many negative outcomes like people missing their deadlines as Kahn said. Starting sooner can not only give students more time but can project how their work looks overall.

Throughout high school, students are constantly feeling stressed or anxious.  Sophomore MaddieTeverovski said this issue is constantly done because of “never being in the mood to do homework”. In reality, though it’s better to finish it now than later.

“I feel that I’m constantly driven to procrastinate because I’m never in the mood to do homework,” Teverovski said. “I just get super lazy about it.”

Although procrastination is a problem among many people today, it still has its solutions. Students can start prioritizing their work first and help themselves get rid of so many future problems and negative ways they could feel if they pushed their work back over and over instead.

“I could fix this problem for myself if I pushed myself to start my work first then do whatever I wanted after,” sophomore Emily Mcknight said. 

Not only can students help themselves solve this recurring bad habit, but they could also help those around them. There are many ways for students to help out their friends, not push their work back as well, and procrastinate. Procrastination will only negatively affect them in the future and helping each other out will one day make other students highly appreciative of the ones who encouraged them to overcome this bad habit.

“Helping your fellow peers out by reminding them to do their work and not procrastinating can remind yourself to not do it too,” sophomore Karli Levy said. “It can make such a big impact on us all by allowing us to do the best that we can with more time.”