The student news site of Clements High School

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

Understanding Stress Acne and Finding Support in School

Student Council members prepare for Beauty Week with sponsor Ricardo Garcia. Photo courtesy of Wendy Wu.

Hi there! Let us talk about something that many high school students face: acne. When those annoying little spots show up on our faces, it can make us feel a bit uneasy about how we look and what others think. 

As someone who knows a lot about skincare, acne is not just about looks. It can make high school students feel a bit stressed, especially when they want to fit in with their friends. When people see someone struggling with acne, they assume it is from the lack of washing their face or a bad diet. While those could be contributing factors to acne, this is not always the case in teens.  

Being in high school is stressful. The biggest cause of acne in most teens is stress, and being extremely stressed can lead to major breakouts and flare-ups with acne. While washing your face regularly with gentle soaps and doing treatments is great, when it comes to stress acne you will need to find alternative solutions such as finding ways to destress yourself.  

Luckily, our school is always willing to help. Teachers and counselors are always trying to make school a peaceful and relaxed environment for our students. For example, if you are stressed about falling behind in math class because you do not understand the material. Our school offers a Lunch Lab during lunch where students can go to get tutoring help for math. Many of our students also have created clubs for different subjects where students can join and work on homework and assignments together. Taking breaks is vital to reduce stress as well, as it is important to recognize when you are putting too much pressure on and overworking yourself.  That way, when you realize you are, you can take a break to reduce your stress levels which will lead to reducing stress acne as well.  

These options can help students de-stress and feel reassured in their learning, looks, and in themselves. It is important to know that everyone is accepted, no matter what their skin looks like. It’s also important to make school a place where everyone feels good about themselves. This is why we have spirit weeks like ‘Beauty Week’ to make students feel included in our school. By understanding that acne is just a normal part of growing up, then high school can be a happier time for everyone. 

There are multiple social media outlets where students can talk about their experiences with acne like Flo, Mindshift, and even Instagram!  It’s like having friends who understand what you’re going through and can share tips. 

So, the next time you see someone with a few spots on their face, just remember they’re on a journey to feeling good about themselves. Let’s cheer them on and make Clements a cool place for everyone!