The student news site of Clements High School

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

Lady Rangers Dominating the 2024 Soccer Season

Varsity

The Lady Rangers’ varsity soccer team has had a great start to the season with back-to-back championships in their tournaments. 

The Lady Rangers were champions for the Lady Highlander Invitational on Jan. 4-6 and The I-10 Shootout on Jan. 11-13. 

At the Lady Highlander Invitational, the Lady Rangers went up against Sotomayor on Jan. 4 and won 1-0. Jocelyn Kianka scored the goal with an assist from Alexis Vance.

On Jan. 5, their next opponent in the Highlander Invitational was Glenn. The Lady Rangers won 2-0. Hannah Hunter and Sophia Maalouf scored the goals, and Kianka and Macy Houston made assists.

On Jan. 6, the last day of the Lady Highlander Invitational, the Lady Rangers went up against Conroe. They won 3-0 with two goals by Chole Le and one goal by Sophia Maalouf. Assists were made by Faith Fong, Jayna Patel, and Alexis Vance. 

This was a great improvement from last year’s Lady Highlander Invitational. Last year, the Lady Rangers had one win, one loss, and tied in the championship game. 

On Jan. 11, the Lady Rangers went up against Spring and won 9-0, on Jan. 12, they went up against Memorial and won 7-2, and on Jan. 13, they went up against Dawson and won 3-1. The Lady Rangers were crowned the Taylor Bracket Champions. 

This tournament was also a great improvement from last year where the Lady Rangers had two wins and a loss in the championship game. 

Chole Le was awarded tournament MVP at the I-10 Shootout. Le had 4 goals and 1 assist. This was the second year Le has received this award. 

The Lady Rangers go into district play and stand 1-1, with a loss against George Ranch (2-1) and a win against Elkins (1-0). Their next game is on Jan. 23 against Austin at Austin High School at 7:15 p.m.

JV 

The Lady Ranger’s JV Soccer team has also had a great start to their season. 

The JV team started their district season on Jan. 9 against George Ranch and won 6-0.

Following their first district win, the Lady Rangers head to the I-10 Shootout on Jan. 11-13, facing Katy Taylor, Langham Creek, and Dawson. 

On Jan. 11, the Lady Rangers went up against Katy Taylor and won 1-0 with a goal by Sophie Colinet and an assist by Claudia Shawcross. 

On Jan. 12, they faced Langham Creek and won 2-0 with goals made by Reese Payne and Sofie Trevino, assists by Sofie Trevino and Isha Xiong, and a save by Oliva Campbell. 

On Jan. 13, the Lady Rangers faced Dawson and won 5-0. Two goals were made by Reese Payne, and one goal by Cami, Valentia Ross, and Lexi Houston. Fabiana Ponce de Leon, Sofie Colinet, Ani, Andrianna Digg, and Lexi Houston made assists. In addition, goalkeeper Olivia Campbell made a save. 

Their tournament sweep led the Lady Rangers to be crowned champions at the I-10 Shootout in their respective bracket.

After their successful tournament, the Lady Rangers had their next district game against rivals Elkins High School. They won 3-0 with two goals by Cami, one by Aya, and assists by Myriam, Reese Payne, and Isha Xiong. 

Their next game is on Jan. 23 against Austin at Austin High School at 5:30 p.m.