The student news site of Clements High School

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

Clements Goes Gold for Childhood Cancer

StuCo will be hosting Go Gold Week for Childhood Cancer, which will be held on Sep. 18-22.

In honor of childhood cancer, StuCo will be raising money to donate to Make-A-Wish.  Every faculty listed who has at least $200 donated in their name will be pied in the face at the Think Pink Pep Rally on Oct. 6, and for every $200 threshold reached, the selected faculty member will get pied again. Donations can be made on RevTrak. 

“As a mom of a cancer survivor, this is my favorite spirit week,” Student Council sponsor Christine Badillo said. “To see people supporting these little warriors and learning about what they go through as well as helping to raise money for amazing organizations like Make-A-Wish or Texas Children’s Hospital- it just fills my heart with hope.”

The teachers that are being pied are Brian Shillingburg, Bobby Darnell, Katy White, Jeff Johnson, Christine Badillo, Jason Thompson, Michelle Barth, Paige Sorge, Brian Russow, Tara Baker, Rob Boagni, and Ricardo (Ricky) Garcia.

“The StuCo Executive officers came up with a list of names of faculty we wanted to ask to participate,” Student Council sponsor Ricardo Garcia said. “Fortunately, we have amazing faculty members who jumped at the chance to participate.”

On Monday, students wear jerseys. 

“Jersey Day was so that we can all team up together against cancer.” Student Council president Anna Wang said.

On Tuesday, students wear neon clothes. 

“Neon Day was to draw attention to all the colors and [it] symbolizes brightening up the children’s future,” Wang said.

On Wednesday, the theme is “Kids are worth more than 4%!” where students dress as their inner child. 

“Only 4% of money donated to cancer goes towards children’s cancer research as opposed to 96% going to adult cancer research,” Wang said. “That’s why it’s so important for more of the money to go to children’s cancer research as it is underfunded and deserves greater recognition and awareness.”
On Thursday, the theme is “Be their superhero to fight cancer!” where students dress up as a superhero.

“Superhero day means being the hero and spreading awareness this month and potentially stepping up to donate towards the cause,” Wang said. 

On Friday, the theme is “Go gold for childhood cancer!” where students wear gold.

“Gold is the universal color for Childhood Cancer Awareness,” Badillo said. “Every cancer has its own specific color regardless of age like Leukemia & Lymphoma is orange, but to unite them all under one color to honor the children warriors, we use GOLD.”

Below is the Go Gold Week schedule and the QR code to donate.