The student news site of Clements High School

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

PALS: A Giving Community

PALS is looking forward to a semester with a large amount of new members. They will be visiting elementary schools and becoming mentors and friends to the students. Their interest meeting was in Jan. 2023 and their next one will be in Jan. 2024.

“I like the community, everyone is really nice and inclusive, and I have fun,” junior Ava Unger said. 

PALS is a class containing only juniors and seniors. They specifically target students who might be feeling lonely, struggling at home, or just in need of a friend.

“I think PALS builds a lot of skills including communication, how to talk to adults, playing with kids and a lot of the things done in this class are out of the kindness of your heart,” Unger said.

In addition, they also participate in volunteering, help the new student population at Clements, and make sure students always have someone they can talk to. 

“One of our favorite activities are going to elementary schools and getting to teach junior achievement where PALS get to be teachers for a full day and have their own classroom,” PALS sponsor Fay Mayo said.

PALS will start visiting elementary schools in two weeks which they go to very often. The class can either be during 4th or 6th period and they take a bus to the schools taking roll there.

“My goal for PALS is for them to be with their hearts and always be bucket fillers which means they always need to be a positive light at our school and our community,” Mayo said.

PALS is all about giving and doing good for the community while also having fun. The members always loved helping people and made many new friendships in the class along the way.

“I get to be around the best kids on campus, they have servant hearts, contribute to the community, love children, and love to give back,” Mayo said. “Watching them do all the good work that they do and seeing how later in life they still are givers in their community is really rewarding to me.”