The student news site of Clements High School

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

The RoundUp

2023 JV Volleyball Season

The JV Volleyball team started off their season with their first game on Friday, Aug. 11 against
Kempner High School. The next Junior Varsity Volleyball game is on Friday, Sep. 8 at 5:30 p.m.
against Travis High school.

“I am looking forward to bonding with my team this year and really improving my skills and
confidence on the court,” JV volleyball player Sophie Sparks said. “My goals for this season are to be
consistent with my serves and build more confidence on the court.”

Head volleyball coach Paige Sorge is eager for the new season and the different talent that is on the
team.

“I’m looking forward to just kind of seeing what this team is able to accomplish because I’m
really excited,” Sorge said. “We have a lot of talent spread in all positions and so I’m really excited to see
what we’re able to accomplish.”

However, the volleyball team also has a few challenges for the girls, Team Manager Alica Zhang
said.

“Our biggest challenges would probably be the mental aspects of playing when we’re not doing
so well,” Zhang said. “Other schools might be better than us which is the biggest mental challenge of the
whole game. We sometimes doubt ourselves if we can even beat them, but I think that last week’s game
against.”

Although the team goes through these challenges, Zhang elaborates on how these challenges
aren’t only a negative factor.

“Personally, I like the challenges of playing volleyball,” Zhang said. “Sometimes there will be
great hitters on the other team that will slam the ball hard but once you overcome the scariness of that
it’s fun when you can dig up her hits and everyone screams because they are surprised to see that, I also like the feeling of winning as a team. When we’re playing the best that we’ve ever played, the feeling
just makes playing 10 times better.”

Many of the players are really looking forward to playing on the JV team this year and bonding with
their team, one being the other JV team manager, Bella Casal.

“I’m really looking forward to many wins this season and getting to know my team more,” Casal said.