Jennifer Cheng: High Flyer Who’s Far From Average

Jennifer Cheng: High Flyer Whos Far From Average

Sameen Siddiqui, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Jennifer Cheng is not just an average high school student. She is not only a flyer for the cheer leading team and part of the track team, but also participates in many sports including figure skating, hockey, volleyball, gymnastics, horseback riding, and basketball.

Cheng began track during her last year of middle school and decided to continue with it at Clements. During her freshman year, she competed in the 100 meter hurdles and sprints. Unfortunately, she was not able to participate during her sophomore year because she tore her ACL and meniscus. In lieu of giving up, she eagerly rejoined the track team during her junior year and competed in pole-vault.

“I was first a point guard on the basketball player. In 8th grade, I decided to join track because basketball season would be over, and I wanted to stay active and try something new. After my knee injury, I wanted to go back to hurdles but my knee would swell up from the hard impact of the jumps, so I tried pole vault and fell in love with it,” said Cheng.

Cheng’s most memorable experience was being able to break her personal record and winning fourth place during her second varsity meet. She also received the most improved athlete award, won third place in Districts, won 6th place in Area.

“This sport is challenging because it can be terrifying at times. A wrong move can end up with a broken neck. Pole vault is a very technique-based sport. We are constantly working on drills and form to vault higher. It’s very stressful! I freak out a lot, but thankfully Coach Damon is there to help me chill out,” said Cheng.

Her advice for students that want to join next her is for each of them to try new things because they’ll never know which event could be the perfect one for them unless they try it out. Also, she believes that anyone can overcome any hardships with hard work and determination.

“I believe my high school experience has pushed me to be the best I can be. I learned to work hard and overcome adversaries,” said Cheng.