My four lessons learned in past four years

Kun Hong, Features Editor

Looking back at the past four years of my high school career, countless moments have come to my mind. I can see them replaying in front of my eyes; however, it doesn’t seem like I can so easily describe them to you, my readers. Today, as I’m writing down this senior goodbye, I have just a few notes of advice for those who have come behind me.

• There are many options to choose from.

Freshman year was slightly overwhelming. It was the first opportunity for me to make significant decisions that could direct the course of my life. Like many people, I had to pick an elective to stick to, a busy, but hopefully not stressful, schedule to live by, and a group of friends to eat with. Unfortunately, I was not one of the lucky ones who got things sorted out immediately the first time around. It is nice if you are one of those people who can. But looking back at it, I am still grateful for the experiences I lived and the choices I made that brought me here today. So always remember that there are many options to choose from, take your time, and do not worry too much.

• No one actually cares about what you do.

If sophomore year has taught me anything other than being okay with a chaotic and inadequate sleep schedule, it would be the cold, hard fact that no one really pays any attention to what you are doing. Many of us have that fear in the back of our mind, constantly thinking about “what would people think when I….” Please stop. It might be a little depressing to know that few people in this world truly care about you and want to help you with what you are doing. Although, it shall be a relief to understand that because most of them do not care, it enables us to freely pursue and devote ourselves to the things we hold meaningful, whatever it may be, without being afraid of judgements.

• Shortcuts do work.

Junior year came, and I was barely holding my life facade together. I started to realize that many around me were also struggling. It was definitely a difficult time. To the juniors reading this article, I say, hold on. It is interesting to think about, though I don’t remember much of the details of my Junior year. I have found out that people react very differently to adversity. Some panic, some hide, some run away, and some decide to fight. Eventually, it will come down to another round of choices you have to make.

• But karma is real.

So far, I think I have had a successful senior year. Despite all the ups and downs, all my goals have been met, and my wishes I made earlier in my high school career came true. When news about my fellow classmates came, and hearing about their reflection of their high school career, I was deeply shocked, yet reassured, by the power of karma. Good deeds do come back to you. Hence, that would be my last piece of advice for you to keep in mind.

They say happy times go by faster than you know it. However, they don’t tell you how bittersweet times can go by pretty quickly also. It felt like I was still grappling with the balance of my present health and my academic future yesterday, but truthfully, in a matter of a month, I am going to be graduating and leaving this box of brick walls where I’ve spent most days of my adolescence.

“And both that morning equally lay

In leaves no step had trodden black.

Oh, I kept the first for another day!

Yet knowing how way leads on to way,

I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.”

—- From The Road Not Taken By Robert Frost