Two Week Spring Break

Malaya Cimino, a sophomore here at Clements High School.

For the 2020-2021 school year, students received a two-week spring break, instead of their typical one week. Not only did this extension have an effect on students education-wise, but it also affected their mental health.

“The two-week spring break allowed for students to take a pause from school,” sophomore Caroline Hendrickson said. “It gave them a chance to catch up on assignments if needed. It also gave students the opportunity to take a chance to catch up with friends and family outside of school.” 

Not only did the two-week spring break affect student’s mental health by giving them a break from school, but it also affected extracurriculars, both in a positive and negative way.  

“The two-week spring break affected my high school dance team both in a positive and negative way,” sophomore Malaya Cimino said. “Although we got an extra week to relax and not stress, we also missed out on a week of rehearsals where we could have been practicing for our spring show. In a normal year, we would have lost only one week, but this year, we lost two weeks that could have been beneficial to our team.” 

However, there are some students who dislike the two-week spring break and would much rather keep it to their typical one week. For example, the two week spring break added another week onto students’ summer.

“Personally, I strongly disliked the two-week spring break,” sophomore Maddox Darnell said. “It set me back education wise and I found myself with nothing to do several times. I believe it was unnecessary to have this long of a break and that the district should keep it to one week.” 

Students have mixed feelings about the extended break. Some students prefer a two-week spring break and think the district should change every school year to have two weeks instead of one. 

“I believe school should do a two-week spring break every year because, towards the end of the school year, things tend to get more hectic and stressful,” sophomore Marissa Yeh said. “Allowing students that two-week period to relax and spend time with their loved ones will give them a much-needed brain break. Not only will it positively affect students, it gives teachers and staff more time at home to spend quality time with their loved ones.”