Leading the Way to Playoffs

Leading the Way to Playoffs

Abby Gutierrez, Reporter

lauren stifflemireLauren Stifflemire is one of the varsity volleyball captains at Clements. She’s a senior and plays setter and right-side hitter. She started playing volleyball about 10 years ago in Elementary school. When Lauren was younger, she enjoyed trying new activities and playing different sports. But when she found volleyball, she felt that was the sport she wanted to play.   

Being on the team has positively affected her life. Lauren has enjoyed meeting new people and improving her skills throughout the years. “I’ve made my closest friends and best memories through volleyball.” Lauren said.

Lauren has worked really hard to improve on skills and to become a better all-around player. Recently she’s received the honor of KHOU KRPA Athlete of the week and The Houston Chronicle Player of the Week awards.

“I touch a volleyball every day, watch the film a lot and practice a lot. I have really high expectations for myself,” said Stifflemire

Lauren wishes to achieve much this season just like the rest of the team. She wants to help carry the team past the first round of playoffs, become district MVP, and make the All-State team this year.

Facts about Lauren!

• She spends her free time playing volleyball!
  • Her favorite subject in school is math
  • She plans to study business and management in college.

Taylor Groesbeck is the one of the two captains on the Clements Volleyball Team. She’s a senior and plays Libero and Defensive Specialist (DS). Taylor started playing volleyball in 6th grade when she was living in Colorado at a local YMCA. She quickly found an interest in the sport and continued playing throughout middle school and high school.taylor groesbeck

The volleyball program has introduced Taylor to her closest and best friends. She also feels she’s learned a lot ab
out becoming a leader, acquiring the skills she needs to be a good role model ,and leading a team. Taylor also feels she learned much about teamwork and coming together as a team to achieve a common goal.

Groesbeck has worked really hard to be at the skill level she’s at today. She started club volleyball (competitive volleyball) in the 6th grade and she’d taken some private lessons to help improve on her individual skills. Taylor also has goals for this upcoming season for her team and herself. “We want to get past the first round of playoffs, and I want to get the most out of my senior year,” said Groesbeck.

Facts about Taylor!

• When Taylor isn’t playing volleyball, she has fun hanging with her friends and family!
  • Her favorite subject in school is math.
  • She intends to study some sort of engineering in college.