Global issues summit educates community to take action

Zehra Jaffari, Student Life Editor

The Global Issues Summit (GIS), hosted by Clements High School’s Global Studies Academy, is hosting its 5th annual event. The Global Studies Academy is a program  that promotes awareness of current events, languages, and world cultures. As part of these specific studies, students run GIS to help the community turn the awareness of the ideas presented at the Summit into action in order to make a difference in the world. The theme of the Summit is based on the UN’s Sustainable Development goals which promote gender equality, elimination of poverty, as well as peace and prosperity in the world. GIS is organized around the theme of People, Planet, Partnership, Prosperity, and Peace.

Held at Clements on April 22, 2017, GIS will have speakers, performances, and even booths and projects for students and community members to experience. This year’s speakers are Commissioner Richard Morrison (Master of Ceremonies Of Counsel), Dr. Hans Stockton (Director of the Center for International Studies at University of St. Thomas), Dr. Kyle Shelton (Director of Strategic Partnerships Kinder Institute at Rice University), David Cook (Professor of Computer Science at SFASU/ABET Commissioner), and Ahmad Alaswad (Director of Development Alliance Multicultural Community Services).

There will also be special performances by Rhythm India, The Heart of Vietnam, and Vivalda Dula, an Angolan cultural songwriter and percussionist. In between the performances and speakers, there will also be time for lunch and break-out sessions for attendees to meet people from different booths. This year’s breakout sessions include Dr. Yamile Jackson (Founder and CEO of Nurtured by Design), Dr. Prahlad T. Ram (Associate Professor  at UT M.D. Anderson Cancer Center), Mika Rao (Managing Director at Regional Communications and Public Affairs for Teach for America), Aga Khan Foundation (Global Development Charity), The Pangea Network (Empowering Women from the United States to Kenya through Education Catholic Charities and a national network of agencies serving poor and vulnerable persons and families).

In 2015, the Global Issues Summit was recognized by President Obama as a summit that fosters global assistance with the emerging leaders of our world. Obama also congratulated the Global Studies Academy’s students for incorporating this unique and futuristic topic into helping the world.

With many opportunities for community members to learn and engage with speakers and professionals on topics that are relevant to sustaining and assisting with the developing world, GIS expects a high volume of attendees from all over the nation. Thus, by turning the awareness received at GIS into effect, anyone can help take this into action into making a lasting improvement in assisting the developing world.

Sign up for GIS by April 1, 2017 at http://www.globalissuessummit.org/