Team prepares to bump, set, spike its way to playoffs

Abby Gutierrez, Editor In Chief

The volleyball Lady Rangers are back at it again with another exciting season for Clements. Not only are the girls working tirelessly hard to improve this year, but they are encouraged by Coach Chris Simmons who is making quite an impression on the team, program and season.

Simmons is a new member and addition to the volleyball program this year, and according to players, he is already making a difference on the season. Simmons recently moved from Jersey Village High School in Cy-Fair this year. He has been coaching high school volleyball for four years now, while this is his 10th year coaching volleyball. Simmons found interest in Clements because of the, “head coaching opportunity and [he] had already [known] a few students who go to Clements, like Holai and Ann Marie. [Who are both on Varsity volleyball],” said Simmons.

Luckily, for Coach Simmons the, “adjustment has been good.” He adds how Coach Robert Darnell, Principal Yaffie, and the rest of the staff at the school have been very supportive and welcoming, which has made the transition surprisingly easy. Because this is his first year  as a head coach, he said he has had a lot more paperwork and work than he was expecting.

From the girl’s’ point of view, they think the same about their new coach.

Holai Johnson, one of the Varsity captains, speaks for the team. “Our team, at first, [were] reluctant to see how a new coach would be, but once we got to work with him, we realized he is super friendly and is always encouraging us competitively. So, the adjustment was pretty easy.”

This season is definitely a season to be thrilled about, they maintain.

“I’m very excited. We have a lot of good kids,” said the new coach.

Simmons also commented on the vast amount of talent and potential Varsity, as well as the rest of the program, has. Coach is most excited about, “the opportunity of having a strong senior group.” This season, the team has two major goals, which are making it to playoffs and once there, passing the first round onto the second.

edited-volley

The Lady Rangers report they have many advantages to this upcoming season. The girls have great flexibility and have the ability to change a lineup on the spot and think quickly. They do well in stepping into and playing different roles on the court, if needed.

One of the captains, Mi Lai said, “I think this season our team chemistry is much stronger than last year because we are all so close on and off the court. I think that will help us go far this season and hopefully make it to playoffs and pass the first round, as well.”

The varsity team is determined to reach and achieve their goals, while pulling out a win each week. According to team members, this should be simple with the veteran group of seniors and all the players on the team who don’t and won’t quit. They say they always find a way to get the ball up, as well as keep their heads up after a loss of a disappointing point. They always attempt to learn from their mistakes to progress on the bad play.