Rangers start season with high hopes

Kun Hong, Features Editor

A brand new school year rolls around, and it is football season again.

This year at Clements, “[CHS] can expect a winning team,” said varsity football  co-captain and senior Blake Jameson.

Jameson has played football since middle school, and he has been on the Clements football team ever since he started his high school career. Each year the school’s football players elect their leaders, picking the hardest working teammates among them to be their captains. This year the varsity captains also include OL/DL Rashawn Slater, and QB Nick Infante. From the words of their teammates and coaches, these three are definitely deserving of their title.

However being on the CHS football team is not an easy and laidback job. When asked about how he balances school and football, Jameson replied, “With limited hours to do homework, shower and eat, you have to get into a routine, and there is no room for procrastination.”

The rest of the team agrees with their captain on how demanding their schedules are. Clements football differs from the other teams in the district. “We are the most enduring and hardest working team,” claims Blake and his teammates. When it comes to will and effort, CHS players believe this is no doubt the characteristic that gives Clements an advantage on the field.

“There have been a lot of changes implemented this year,” said receiver and MLB Dawson Risinger.

Others agree with this. From mentality to practice methods, “Everything is a lot more intense.” Jameson said.  

This has been confirmed by Dawson and QB JT Taylor while they are talking about the change brought on by Coach Robert Darnell. “[He] told us to get up, be tough, [and] brings a spirit to the team.”

Darnell, who is the former football coach from Ridgepoint High School, is another brand new member of the CHS football team. According to the players, he has brought to Clements a new kind of energy, excitement, and confidence – a “new swag,” as RB/CB Zy’shonne Boykins said.

“[We have] a better positive attitude and a lot higher expectations [from coach Darnell],” said DL Jason Goeke, who  joined the interview via phone, “[and] we are willing to fulfill those expectations.”

It is clear that with the mutual respect and trust present, Clements football players share a strong bond with their new coach. “[CHS football] wants a direction and a pathway,” said Coach Darnell when asked about his motivations behind the change, “[I am] changing the mentality, [and teaching them] the importance of effort and execution.”

As for the expectations CHS football has set for itself this year, Jameson said  the team is look forward to playoffs, and is mostly anticipating the game with Ridgepoint. Aside from the goals of the season, the players also expressed their goals in the long run.

“We want to take Clements football further than it had been in 2007, further than it ever has been,” said Josh Smiles, a senior and the WR/CB of the team, who wishes to leave a legacy during his last year playing for Clements, “We wish more students from middle school would be proud to join CHS football.”

Students are encouraged to attend games this year.

“Please come out and support us.” said Jameson, “You (the student body) are a big part of the game.”

Others echoed this sentiment.

“ We do not bother with the negativity,” said Zy’shonne Boykins, “but we appreciate the positivity and support. We need them.”

After all, Clements football players are embracing changes, and looking forward to a good year. In the end, their attitude can be perfectly summed up by their motto:

#Hard Work Pays Off#

edited3