Softball prepares for victorious season

Abby Gutierrez, Editor In Chief

The girls Varsity softball team is looking to make an impression this year on the field as they prepare for their upcoming season in districts. This team of hardworking players are determined to turn some heads as they fight through their season and work to achieve their goals.

The girls are constantly improving on their skills and working on their weaknesses with the help of the three coaches in the program, Coach Mary Skelton, Coach Lauren Rodgers, and Coach Angela (Espi) Espinosa. The two teams, Junior Varsity and Varsity, practice after school everyday, except for game days on Tuesdays and Fridays.

A lot of preparation has gone into the upcoming season as the girls ready themselves to go up against the other tough schools in the district. They’re most anticipating to play Dulles, Ridgepoint, and Travis High School.

“A lot.” Coach Skelton said, describing how much work has been put into preparing for the season. “We have off-season which begins the second day of school. [Before season] Coaches get together and attend coach seminars and learn new drills.”

The team has many goals they wish to achieve by the end of the season, and with their focused and competitive mindsets, it seems they’re on the right track to rising above the challenge to succeed and win this year.

“We want to make playoffs, play the best we can, play hard every game, and give our 100% in everything,” Riley Spengeman, a Junior and third baseman who’s been on Varsity since freshman year, said.

There are many adjustments and advantages the softball program has to contribute to their many wins this season. While there isn’t much change in playing-wise on the team, there are a lot of freshman in the program who’re coming up for tournaments with Varsity and many new people moving up from JV.

“We have a lot of upperclassmen. We have a lot of returning starters and solid pitching.” Skelton said.

Along with the season, the girls are looking forward to a lot of great activities and traditions this year. The late night games, the Brian tournament at College Station, and the late park trips playing tag after Friday home games are some of the many fun-filled activities the team is excited for.

“Taught me to be a team player and form long-lasting friendships.” Caitlin Perry, a Varsity player, said about the team’s impact on her.

Softball season is here, and the games are played on Tuesdays and Fridays. With the way things are looking, the team is sure to bring home some victories this season.